Not getting on with hitchclimber.

Mark Wileman

Didn’t like the Bdb myself .. felt too heavy , lots of drag and fickle on ropes it was used on ... the akimbo was great on new ropes and definitely the easiest to use in a Tree especially for mid line attachment it just didn’t like sap of conifers ,saw dust or just being around them it seemed it would stick and lock up and not tend... hopefully the production model will have sussed a few issues , I did get a spare spring off rich but do too many conifers to make it work for me. .. had to go back to the reliable hitch climber and cord set up.

I had lots of problems with VT until recently. I bought a sewn eye2eye (75cm I think)for my new SRT setup and found it worked really well on my DRT short rope (some old 13mm marlow stuff).

I think the improvement came from two things:

1. The e2e was much shorter on the wider DRT rope and made the VT lock better.

2. The sewn eyes made the last couple of inches to the karabiner much stiffer, which helped self-tending and reduced 'sit-back'

My recommendation therefore is: try shortening your cord, then when it's locking nicely, tape the ends to the adjacent working part, nice and tight. Or stop being a tightwad and buy a sewn hitch cord. Actually I'm a huge tightwad, which is why I descend on a figure-8 attached to my side-D ring so it fits just under my hitch; hopefully this will make my hitch cord last as long as possible :)

• Like 2

Look at O rig for HC............... or girth hitch 2.. (I'm a bit fat) 600mm slings to harness and clip set up to this.

Facilitates much easier body thrusting as you pull down on one side of rope. Just make sure friction hitch remains within reach in case you need to descend before you reach first perch and can remove sling(s)  

Has anyone used an 8mm friction cord on a 13mm rope?
Yes indeed, i started climbing on 10mm Stein friction cord tied in a loop paired with 13mm Yale xtc then changed to 8mm Marlow Viper. I've since moved on to the HC system, still using 8mm Viper with 13mm Yale xtc. Will be purchasing some Yale 12mm Imori and try it out with the HC.
  • Like 1