Brexit ! what will this mean ? ( lets get a good thread going )

digaholedumper

I voted out and nothing I've seen has made me question my decision. Before the referendum both sides were economical with the truth, however it honestly seemed that Bremainers were telling the far bigger fibs... some of the scare stories from Bremain were truly insulting...

If the EU is such a benelovent club why do they want to punish us for leaving?

I honestly hope we get a hard Brexit. Imho, the only really good thing that the EU gave us was free trade, since many countries have free trade agreements with the EU without giving them money I don't see why we should be giving the EU £12 billion a year.

Much is made of free movement. In 2001 I did my MSc, there were 12 people  on the course, 2 Brits, 3 Greeks, 2 Italians, 1 German, 1 Zimbawean, 1 Spaniard, 1 Dutch and 1 guy from Singapore. Since they studied in the UK they could all have got jobs in the UK. Being selfish about it, do you think having so many foreigners compete for jobs with the 2 Brits is really fair? I'd have absolutedly no chance of getting jobs in their countries as I never spoke their languages. Free movement is really a one way street....

IMO the U.K. Holds an overinflated view of itself, a view shared by many overseas.
I just hope Brexit doesn't screw things up for the younger generations with regard to ease of movement, work and study in other European countries - being able to study in another e.u country and your home country pick up the tab is huge. It's things like this I truly hope aren't lost. 

Why should we pick up the tab for people going to study abroad?
I’ve no issue with people going don’t get me wrong but why should they get to go without paying for it?
  • Like 2

Because the children are the future of a nation.  Regardless of what anyone thinks, some education may be of better quality elsewhere.

It was your right to study abroad, you probably didn't choose it but why shouldn't your children have the same rights as you?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Why should we pick up the tab for people going to study abroad?
I’ve no issue with people going don’t get me wrong but why should they get to go without paying for it?

That comes across as selfish and bitter tbh 

Because perhaps the uks education system isn't actually the best and you shouldn't have to pay to be educated imo

Example, Your son lives in England and wants an education from the best possible university of its kind that happens to be in Germany? Then return home to England with the best education possible...I don't know about you but I want the best possibilities for my children

Many seem to to think the U.K. Only gives? 

Right or wrong, I just hope that these possibilities still exist in the years to come.

• Like 2

Much is made of free movement. In 2001 I did my MSc, there were 12 people  on the course, 2 Brits, 3 Greeks, 2 Italians, 1 German, 1 Zimbawean, 1 Spaniard, 1 Dutch and 1 guy from Singapore. Since they studied in the UK they could all have got jobs in the UK. Being selfish about it, do you think having so many foreigners compete for jobs with the 2 Brits is really fair? I'd have absolutedly no chance of getting jobs in their countries as I never spoke their languages. Free movement is really a one way street....

Students from outside eu can only work 20hrs a week whilst they study and ha ing studies in UK does not entitle then to work in UK. Also nothing stopping you learning a foreign language if you want to
  • Like 2

That comes across as selfish and bitter tbh 

Because perhaps the uks education system isn't actually the best and you shouldn't have to pay to be educated imo

Example, Your son lives in England and wants an education from the best possible university of its kind that happens to be in Germany? Then return home to England with the best education possible...I don't know about you but I want the best possibilities for my children

Many seem to to think the U.K. Only gives? 

Right or wrong, I just hope that these possibilities still exist in the years to come.

Hang on a minute it’s not free here why should it be free in the eu? Or is that not what you are saying.

Not selfish or bitter. I do think far too many people go to university and end up stacking shelves anyway.

I do have kids and do want what’s best for them, I just believe there’s no such thing as free.
If my kids go to uni it will be me that pays for it and I wouldn’t expect it to be free.
  • Like 1

Just now, billpierce said:

Students from outside eu can only work 20hrs a week whilst they study and ha ing studies in UK does not entitle then to work in UK. Also nothing stopping you learning a foreign language if you want to

The two Greeks, Spaniard, Zimbawean and Dutch guy got full time jobs in the UK after graduation....

Ohhh, OK, what foreign languages do you think I should learn then on the remote possibility I get a job in the EU?  Spanish? German? Flemish? Greek? Romanian? Bulgarian? French? Croat? English is the world's language, it means EU nationals can generally speak English and get jobs in the UK...

Speaking as civil engineer I can honestly say that free movement realistically means EU nationals can come to the UK to compete for my job and I can't go to the EU to compete for professional jobs there. Anyway, do you think I want to work in East Europe and get a 90% salary drop?

IMHO, free movement really isn't that good for Brits...

Because the children are the future of a nation.  Regardless of what anyone thinks, some education may be of better quality elsewhere.

It was your right to study abroad, you probably didn't choose it but why shouldn't your children have the same rights as you?

The right to study if they want is good and if it stays then great!
I don’t expect a free ride in life that’s all, it’s weird I know!

22 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

How many people here have family members that can speak a foreign language to a level where they could study a technical subject in it? I bet very few...