Brexit ! what will this mean ? ( lets get a good thread going )

digaholedumper

who knows how it will pan out?. Its worth remembering, we did perfectly well before the 1998 and 1993 treaties were signed. I think what is more important, is whats now NOT going to happen. We would of been in the Schengen zone and part of the Euro by 2020...now that really would have changed things. Whatever anyone likes or dislikes about leaving the EU, the fact is, their objective is 'ever closer union' and eventually, a Federal European Government. Is that what most people who voted to remain really want?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Fair enough, where did you choose to go Rich?

The main reason was the BS going in in the UK.  The narrow minded people who voted out, the lack of bollocks in the authorities, the government and press with their own agendas, which completely goes against what the majority of the population want.

The list goes on.

In reality, I am not stupid enough to think the grass is that much greener elsewhere.  Everywhere has its issues.  But I was living in London, I had, had enough, made a bit of profit in my house.  The missus is Norwegian, she got a good offer of work.  My kids speak Norwegian and I didnt want them in London for much longer.  I wanted a better life for them.

So we moved to Norway.

• Like 5

Fair enough Rich. I am not quoting you because the rest of this post is not aimed at you directly but I suppose it is in part ... 

The one thing that has started to strike me as alarming with remainers is that you guys are writing off half of the country with spite whether it’s retards, narrow minded, dumb, stupid etc etc it’s the same in real life as is on here yet I find that to be untrue I for one voted leave as did others on this board and if I come across in any of my posts be it brexit or arb related as a retard or narrow minded I apologise in advance but my IQ and that of others I know who voted leave would suggest otherwise. 

Now personally I wouldn’t class someone who voted for let’s be honest an unknown opportunity as narrow minded!? Maybe sticking with the status quo is narrow minded? Who knows. 

The 2 points I’m getting to:-

1) I know lots of people who voted for both outcomes and I wouldn’t class a single one of them as a retard or narrow minded or anything negative, most of the people I know are hard working and just want what they feel is the best for them and theirs. 

2) The spite concerns me because it is these types of thoughts and regards for others that would lead to action against each other in times of hardship/poverty which I alluded to in another post. 

I am hopeful and quite sure that no one really thinks either side of the argument are retards or narrow minded to use examples from today so in which case why state such? If that is how people think then? Worrying?

What worries me a bit is that every piece of news that paints the whole brexit thing in a poor light is seized upon by those who are bitter about the vote as proof of the folly of leaving.

For them the bigger the failure the better in an “I told you so” viewpoint.

Not looking for a North Korean type news whitewash, but an acceptance that it’s going to happen and a “moving forward” discussion would be better.

• Like 4

Wes, I didn't call anyone retards.  

I try to look at decisions with an open mind.  I was neither a remainer or a brexiter.  I didn't vote in the conventional way I voted with my feet.  I think that Micks comment is really close to where it lies for me.  Both sides have their arguments and points but it was the way one jumps on the others statements with the I told you so bit.

both sides used the Norway model as one example to demonstrate why their argument is better.  Norway is a wealthy country with large reserves of natural resources, gas, oil and fishing/maritime.  Britain doesn't anymore.  

The fact is that Norway still gives the EU a whole lot of money but has nothing to do or has a say in the policies that come out of Brussels, yet they still pay dearly for it.

I read somewhere that there were huge contingencies of Brexit voters in rural and agricultural areas of the UK.  Those same areas rely heavily on farming subsidies from the EU...  if that isn't cutting your nose of to spite your face, I do not know what is.?

Or in other words, Narrow minded.

In my original reply to you I maybe should have said the narrow mindedness or the arguments from both sides.

Quite honestly, the only thing that steered me towards having a partial foot in the remain camp was, I had already decided to move.  I registered my children with Norwegian passports and citizenship.  Norway doesnt allow dual nationality.  So once the kids are adults they have to decide.  Maybe they will want to study in the UK?  Who knows.  If Britain is no longer part of the EU then it may be an additional level of buerocracy that will have to be overcome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Wes, I didn't call anyone retards.  

I try to look at decisions with an open mind.  I was neither a remainer or a brexiter.  I didn't vote in the conventional way I voted with my feet.  I think that Micks comment is really close to where it lies for me.  Both sides have their arguments and points but it was the way one jumps on the others statements with the I told you so bit.

both sides used the Norway model as one example to demonstrate why their argument is better.  Norway is a wealthy country with large reserves of natural resources, gas, oil and fishing/maritime.  Britain doesn't anymore.  

The fact is that Norway still gives the EU a whole lot of money but has nothing to do or has a say in the policies that come out of Brussels, yet they still pay dearly for it.

I read somewhere that there were huge contingencies of Brexit voters in rural and agricultural areas of the UK.  Those same areas rely heavily on farming subsidies from the EU...  if that isn't cutting your nose of to spite your face, I do not know what is.?

Or in other words, Narrow minded.

In my original reply to you I maybe should have said the narrow mindedness or the arguments from both sides.

Quite honestly, the only thing that steered me towards having a partial foot in the remain camp was, I had already decided to move.  I registered my children with Norwegian passports and citizenship.  Norway doesnt allow dual nationality.  So once the kids are adults they have to decide.  Maybe they will want to study in the UK?  Who knows.  If Britain is no longer part of the EU then it may be an additional level of buerocracy that will have to be overcome.

Sorry rich that’s why I didn’t quote you to aim at you, you come out with narrow minded, Vespasian called brexit voters retards. 

My point was people are calling half of the nation something negative be it narrow minded or retards yet in truth we’ll all know people who voted both ways who are anything but narrow minded or retarded. 

I know now your family held a bearing but you still chose a country not in the EU and not in the UK. 

I just think it's nuts that people are discussing what will happen well after the vote.  In an ideal world, we'd have been given the facts beforehand.  That would've I suppose, have lowered the bargaining potential of Mrs May's government though...

13 minutes ago, WesD said:

Sorry rich that’s why I didn’t quote you to aim at you, you come out with narrow minded, Vespasian called brexit voters retards. 

My point was people are calling half of the nation something negative be it narrow minded or retards yet in truth we’ll all know people who voted both ways who are anything but narrow minded or retarded. 

I know now your family held a bearing but you still chose a country not in the EU and not in the UK. 

Yes my family were more important.  That is the underlying reason.

I have been disenchanted with the state of affairs in the UK for a number of years now.

Better wages, better standard of living for me and the family with better prospects. So far it hasn't been all plain sailing but I truly believe we have made the correct decision for our future.

surely if I was a fully fledged remainer, I would still be there?

Norway may not be directly be in the EU but it does have strong ties and opportunities to members of EU countries.