Brexit ! what will this mean ? ( lets get a good thread going )

digaholedumper

2 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I used to work to for the Canadian incumbent International telecoms carrier.  They owned a couple of Transatlantic cable systems.  One of them was called Cantat 3.

IIRC in 1998 a deep sea trawler dredged up a portion of the cable damaging it and basicially disconnecting Europe from America.  There were back up cable systems and asymetric satellite links providing redundancy but had nowhere near the capacity required.  In those days incumbents sold to other incumbents.  BT was severely effected as was trading on the London Stock Exchange.  The major clients of the UK arm of the company were France Telecom, Deutsche Telecom, Telecom Italia etc.  The German stock exchange took a major hit as the connection was down for quite a few days.

i joined that company a month after it happened and our name was mud, even though we had jack shit to do with the outage.  I am sure that and other contributing factors led to the downfall of that company.

I’d hazard a guess another company took it’s place!

2 hours ago, josharb87 said:

It’d be ironic if it was due to its multiculturalism!

New York might be able to lay a fairly legitimate claim to that.....  Given the breadth, variety and actual diversity of immigration.  And perhaps there in lies a part of the solution - (controlled) breadth, variety and diversity are notable advantages of immigration - rather than overwhelming a defined area with narrow sourced input that has no desire or need to integrate. 

Consider the following scenario ........ In 10+ years time England is an impoverished nation on the fringe of Europe , The government applies to join the EU , we are accepted and now we become a recipient of EU grants  ( the opposite at the moment ) and we will receive loads of EU money for fantastic infrastructure projects etc etc ,  loads of our young people move to Poland  / Romania to pick veg , wash cars etc, etc ... will they then receive benefits from the host country ??  subsidised housing , tax credits , free health care, education etc etc , and expect to be liked and welcomed by their host nation when they subdue wages , put pressure on public services etc etc  , and if they commit serious crimes are still entitled to remain in the host country with legal costs borne by the host country ?...    I doubt that  this will happen ..BUT  this is what has happened in reverse over the last decade has it not !! ??   Sadly the freedom of movement has been mostly a one way thing , and just why is this a non negotiable thing with the EU , it is their utter refusal to negotiate on such issues that has lead to the current situation ,  I have no doubts that many EU member states will suffer when we leave and their leaders will pressure the EU leaders (unelected ) to be more flexible  , Germans want to sell their cars to us , the Spanish want us to holiday there , Polish will return home to be unemployed , etc etc so I  am pretty sure some sort of deal will be reached ...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Oh yes there were plenty. 

Most of them are now bankrupt.  Global Telecoms was a funny old game.  I am glad I got out.  Everyone fighting for the same piece of pie.

Fair enough, that was my point though more will come to replace what has left the same will happen in London except the markets are largely successful for large firms.  

Out of interest have you asked locals and norwegian friends if they’d like to be part of the EU like the UK is? If so what are their thoughts and do they think we are doing right by ourselves in coming out or do they think we are making a mistake?

@Rich Rule genuinely interested in what Norwegians think by the way as they are non biased as they are neither in or out so to speak. When I was skiing in solden last year I was asking guys we got chatting to in lifts etc and opinions seemed to be 50/50! A lot of the Germans wernt happy though at the levels of immigration in Germany when Merkel opened the gates, local crime was shooting up in their opinions of Course. 

21 hours ago, josharb87 said:

I speak fluent Swedish :) 

my partners sister studied sociology, there simply isn't course material available in Swedish so it's English material only

a criteria of being in the eu is that English is taught as a second language

again, I just hope the same opportunities are available to future generations after brexit

Hi Josh. Nothing to do with Brexit but Out of interest how did you go about learning Swedish, did you move there already knowing some or did you pick it up once you moved there? We are considering moving to Sweden, my wife is Swedish but I can speak very little, feel like every time I visit I pick it up quite quickly when I’m there..

6 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Hi Josh. Nothing to do with Brexit but Out of interest how did you go about learning Swedish, did you move there already knowing some or did you pick it up once you moved there? We are considering moving to Sweden, my wife is Swedish but I can speak very little, feel like every time I visit I pick it up quite quickly when I’m there..

I didn't know anything. I tried and had a will to learn, I think it's rude to be in a foreign country and not even try some basics. I wasn't scared of making a tit out of myself trying, persisting even when who I spoke to switched to English, I did take evening courses at the public university (not SFI) which helped with the grammar.

where you moving too and why?