Pro’s and Con’s for being a self employed climber?

KoalaArb

So all climbers just want to climb and if you are employed by a company where you rarely get the chance to climb or are not climbing as much as you want to be the only option is self employment and offer yourself out to climb to various company’s..... so what would you say the pro’s and con’s to this is??

Adam Bourne had a great thread about this a while back, if anyone on a pc can find it. Something like "so you want to be a freelance climber"...

There's pro's and con's. As any employed climber you turn up, so your job and that's it. You know when you're getting to work and what time you're finishing. Your kit is provided.
You may be the best climber at your company, it's easy to feel content. Once you go self employed you may find that there's plenty out there that are better than you, you'll have to work harder to prove yourself.

You might find yourself working for people with unrealistic expectations. Maybe you're not as good as they hoped, or perhaps they've plain just cocked up the quote.

Most employers think that £150 is top whack for a good climber, and expect a great deal for that money. Personally I don't agree with that, but then I wouldn't, would I.

Saws and climbing kit need replacing. On any job I have about £3,000 worth of kit, that could stop working or get damaged or just wear out.

At £150 a day, a week off costs £750 which you won't have in your account at the months end. If you've budgeted for that you'll be fine, but some don't.

That said, I rarely hear of freelance climbers taking jobs on the books. You decide when you work, how much you want (and what the market can pay you) and what kit you use.

Basically, if you're good at your job you should be fine, and earn a fair wage. The rest can be learned.