Stihl 017 mix?

ag Ed

I've got an old 017 in from a customer, he's just filled it up with a can of fresh 2 stroke, it ran for a very short while and then cut out, was running fine before
considering i've had his strimmer in before for the exactly the same thing, filled up from a can of freshly mixed 2 stroke and it was well too rich oil to fuel ratio i'm pretty confident i know what this one is!
anyway he reckons he runs it on 25:1, personally i run on aspen but all modern saws are 50:1 as far as i know, what would an older saw like this be? 50:1, 40:1 or 25:1?

Thanks, i tend to stick to my new saws and aspen personally!

Edited by ag Ed

thanks, that's what i suspected
i've got a bit of home mixed 50:1 my old man uses in his ms181 so i'l drain the tank and carb and stick half a tank of that in

then comes the hard part, how do you tell the customer politely that he needs to be more careful mixing his fuel and to mix it at 50:1?!

It isn't what the machine is rated at, it is what the oil manufacturer recommends so if you have a vintage machine, the oils of the day were 25:1 but if you use modern synthetic Stihl in it you would mix it at 50:1

Some no brand oils may state 40:1 but most decent modern oils are 50:1.

28 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It isn't what the machine is rated at, it is what the oil manufacturer recommends so if you have a vintage machine, the oils of the day were 25:1 but if you use modern synthetic Stihl in it you would mix it at 50:1

Some no brand oils may state 40:1 but most decent modern oils are 50:1.

Oh right, interesting. i'll confess i didn't know that! i always run aspen personally and anyone i know tends to use stihl 2 stroke oil if they are self mixing

even easier than draining the tank out and mucking about... remember the rule of thumb, listen carefully to everything the customer said and then forget all that and make your own findings! always experience the issue yourself
i went and started the saw on about second or third pull and it starts and runs fine, a touch smokey but nothing silly on a 17 year old saw that may be running a tad rich on oil

i can be almost certain he had knocked the kill switch up accidentally whilst cutting and couldn't understand why it wouldn't restart! i've done it my self a few times whilst running a stihl but i know about it and just knock the switch back and restart, personally prefer the husky kill switch where you knock it down and it springs back automatically