Which mower to buy?

njc110381

I had wondered about the Kubota being one of the Kaaz machines. It looks very much like the old Honda which all of those are based upon. To be honest all that does is increase my confidence. The old Honda's were proper solid. Until a few years ago I was mowing my ex boss's lawn with one from the 70's. I think it had needed a new drive at some stage but besides that it ran like a new mower!

Right, just looked at their site. It's reminded me why my subconscious had steered me away from the Kaaz. Solid machine for sure, we had one for a while but we sold it again. Why? That silly blade clutch lever! Fine on a left turn but on a right turn you have to reach  right over the bars to keep the blade running as the blade lever is only on the one side rather than all across. That did it for me. I used it for a month and was sick of it! Not a huge issue but enough of a silly niggle for me to decide I wasn't playing any more. The Kubota has also added the handle brace like that fitted to the newer Honda's. The Kaaz under heavy use will probably experience the handle wobble that used to appear on the older Honda's. Too much pressure on too small an area and the bolt holes open up.

Right, just looked at their site. It's reminded me why my subconscious had steered me away from the Kaaz. Solid machine for sure, we had one for a while but we sold it again. Why? That silly blade clutch lever! Fine on a left turn but on a right turn you have to reach  right over the bars to keep the blade running as the blade lever is only on the one side rather than all across. That did it for me. I used it for a month and was sick of it! Not a huge issue but enough of a silly niggle for me to decide I wasn't playing any more. The Kubota has also added the handle brace like that fitted to the newer Honda's. The Kaaz under heavy use will probably experience the handle wobble that used to appear on the older Honda's. Too much pressure on too small an area and the bolt holes open up.

I run the lawnflite kaaz deck machines. Your right about the turns I always cut a double pass around the edge so that other than on tight lawns I don’t have to let go of the drive lever so it just keeps moving and cutting a pain but fine once you are used to it

8 hours ago, Vespasian said:

Oh so you can get a mod kit for it, I'll see how much they are and see if its worth it.. as it is I've sort got use to it.. so it might depend on how much it is..  

Actually I think the mod kit was because they changed the cable design, and had to have a new lever to match, might have been on the 536.  But same applies, check the cable is running free, and the return spring on the gearbox control arm is doing its job properly.  And make sure you have both springs fitted to the upper control linkage on the handles.

Has anyone used a Toro? I had a little mulching ride on when I first started out which although it didn't feel all that solid, just refused to give up. The one I'm looking at is a 22157 Proline.

I have the toro time master I think. It’s amazing when the grass is dry but damp or wet forgot it

The blade clutch on mine is the same width as the handle so not one sided

Yeah i agree , ive used hayters & the big Hondas don't like em "sounds like the smaller gardens hes doing , push mowers & more importantly something with a briggs & Stratton motor, i know the new 1s made in china ,but the motors don't break down & if youre spending lots a Wonga get self propelled " problem is the clutches break after a lot of work  

Just flicking through this post. I went through this at the beginning of the yard. My faithful old hayter s**t it’s self end of last year so needed a replacement. After looking at all the options near to me I ended up buying a Weibang 56 pro, and it’s been a fantastic mower. I’ve even had other contactors come and have a look/go with it as they’ve been so impredded with the finish. Only downside to the mower is it’s weight, around 70 kg.