Which mower to buy?

njc110381

20 hours ago, njc110381 said:

Just scrolling through the forums and noticed this section - I've completely overlooked it until now. Saves me asking an off topic question elsewhere!

I'm looking at buying a mower. I currently sub to a chap running a Honda HRX 537 which is pretty good. The features are nice. Blade clutch, variable speed, adjustable mulching via lever to either collect or mulch, with the option to mulch a bit and pick up a bit. It's good. I have experience of Hayter and don't like them, along with several other Honda pro models. Although not top spec, the HRX is probably my favourite.

The thing is, I think I need to look around before deciding. It's a lot of money and with the likes of John Deere offering good models too, I don't want to be too blinkered with my choice. What else is out there? I'm cautious of machines labelled "professional" so would rather ask those who use their kit hard for their experience. In other words, you lot... Help! I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Advance warning about the HRX: the drive system can be expensive to fi if it breaks (£400for the transmission) unless it's the belt to the drive that breaks. I know because the drive on mine has just had to be replaced.

Interesting re. the Honda HRX transmission. The chap I sub for has two and they are beginning to grumble a bit. You can feel they're not quite right. I'll pass that info on!

I'm not against spending a grand or so. Possibly a bit more. The Etesia pushes my limits somewhat at over £2k for one with a blade clutch. That may be a little steep. Mowers are a tough one but one thing I know is that I've used cheap in the past and it's not fun. I tend to liken it to driving from Cornwall to Scotland on a moped or in a Merc or even a Rolls. You don't really need the Rolls, but I'm bloody sure I wouldn't be doing it on a moped! Some money needs to be spent both to make better use of time and for user comfort.

I have the Honda HRX 537, nowt wrong with it.. had it a couple of years.. and had one before I got this one..

The clutch has gone on mine mind, you have to lift it up at the back to pull it backwards...   apparently it'd cost as much to fix as buy another..

and thats what I did, I bought the more expensive version, cost me 1600 squid this year..   big mistake, weighs twice as much and when your liftin that thing on an off the truck all day it tells..  I've gone back to using the Honda HRX 537 bloke clutch or no broke clutch..

I'll be getting another when it gives up the ghost, the other lump will be held in reserve for bigger jobs...   what a waste of money.. at least for me, most of my jobs are regular garden jobs..  

The Honda HRX 537 is perfectly fine for those jobs...  

Can't speak for other mowers, never used them, always stuck to honda as theres a dealership near where I live...  apparently Viking are the dogs Bllks, but at those prices I wont be bothrin..

So the locking drive wheels when you try to pull back the HRX is an expensive fix? One of ours has just stared playing that game. I say just - it's been doing it for a season now on the odd occasion. I'm going to have a closer look at the Viking machines now. I wouldn't have even considered them until they were mentioned here. I thought Viking was Stihl's "toy" range!

Edit.... I hate the look of the handles! Or should I say handle? It's one sided! Not sure about that!

Edited by njc110381

1 minute ago, njc110381 said:

So the locking drive wheels when you try to pull back the HRX is an expensive fix? One of ours has just stared playing that game. I say just - it's been doing it for a season now on the odd occasion. I'm going to have a closer look at the Viking machines now. I wouldn't have even considered them until they were mentioned here. I thought Viking was Stihl's "toy" range!

No definitely not toys, the mowers are pricey but worth every penny the finish is unbelievable and they cut well in all weather. 

• Like 1

A big local dealer has a good range. All the ones I'm considering in stock. I might have to drive over and have a look. From the catalogue, the Viking MB756GS looks nice. Blade clutch, big box and variable speed. I'll have to see if I can find more info re. the mulching as I have a couple of lawns that I don't collect.

3 hours ago, Vespasian said:

The clutch has gone on mine mind, you have to lift it up at the back to pull it backwards...   apparently it'd cost as much to fix as buy another..

There is no clutch, it's a hydro box. You sure its not just the return spring on the gearbox control arm that has failed?  Quite common, and they modified them at some point for this reason.  So if you replace it, it'll probably come as a mod kit containing new spring, arm, and pin,