Which mower to buy?

njc110381

Just scrolling through the forums and noticed this section - I've completely overlooked it until now. Saves me asking an off topic question elsewhere!

I'm looking at buying a mower. I currently sub to a chap running a Honda HRX 537 which is pretty good. The features are nice. Blade clutch, variable speed, adjustable mulching via lever to either collect or mulch, with the option to mulch a bit and pick up a bit. It's good. I have experience of Hayter and don't like them, along with several other Honda pro models. Although not top spec, the HRX is probably my favourite.

The thing is, I think I need to look around before deciding. It's a lot of money and with the likes of John Deere offering good models too, I don't want to be too blinkered with my choice. What else is out there? I'm cautious of machines labelled "professional" so would rather ask those who use their kit hard for their experience. In other words, you lot... Help! I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Edited by njc110381

Is it a ride on mower you are after?

We have 2 husqvarna ride on mowers ( see pic ) and in my opinion the Maneuverability of the front wheel staring ones are terrible cd089e562e26106f331883dbdd512333.jpg

We also have one made by a Company called 'Bad boy' although it takes a little getting used to the controls once mastered it slashes the time spent mowing in half. It can turn 360° within its own body length so getting up close to obstacles is easy. The only downside is the model we have doesn't collect the cuttings, im sure they must make one that does.

547920ad1435d5398691c77f5e14f6dc.jpg

I'm running a Kubota w819r and it seems a really good machine. Sadly I've not a lot to compare it to as haven't used much in the past but I got the recommendation from a landscaper I sub to who swears by them. He's run all sorts and said the Kubota is by far the best machine he's had, he's just phasing out the last of his big John deer mowers for them as they are so much better. No speed adjustment on the roller model but personally I don't feel it needs it and pick up wet grass a treat. My only gripe is that the blade seems very soft do dulls and dents easily.

I like the look of that Kubota. Will look at Etesia too. Agreed, I've killed a gearbox on every Honda I've ever used. Mind you three days hard contract mowing every week takes it's toll on even the best of kit!

Edited by njc110381

Push mowers for me. Most of the lawns I cut don't have access for a ride on. I do mainly small/medium domestic.

My apologies I should have looked at the model you quoted first before I jumped the gun..

We also have husqvarna Hu725 they are 4 wheel drive. Pull through anything but wet grass clogs them up on a large lawn.

And a Honda 21 fairly old model but this is my go too. Nothing fancy it has drive function. But what I like most is it picks up very well but also has a flap on the back which leaves nice stripes in the lawn once finished.

4wd sounds a bit gimmicky on a push mower! If it skids a bit you can, well, push it. It's not like getting a pickup full of logs bogged down!

I had a look at the Etesia mowers. They look good but only the top two models appear to have a blade clutch, and the mulching facility sounds very basic (shove a plate over the discharge). That's something else to get left on a job when rushing.

Another thought I had that's pro Honda is the plastic deck on the lower end models. When on your own you can slide it down steps without scratching them. Currently not an issue on any of my jobs but it has been in the past with the alloy ones.

Some great machines being suggested chaps. Thanks. Interestingly, Honda has had some mention but not a lot. That surprises me a bit. Are they getting a bit past it perhaps?

I've just noticed that the Kubota mentioned above has little detachable pieces on the bottom of the alloy deck. I wonder if they are plastic skid plates? Now that really would be clever!