Zig zag or spiderjack?

KoalaArb

• 3 months later...
Spiderjack 3 for me. 

Zig zag’s are good but they eat gloves and they don’t self tend as well. 

Im planning on doing a review on the SJ3 next week so I’ll save my feedback for then. 

Hey Wes, did ya do a review of SJ3?
I currently use a lockjack but hav been offered a brand SJ3 for £150 n seems like a bargain but they seem a 'fair old chunk' to have in front of ya, so interested to know yours or anyone else's experiences
Thanks John

Hi John, at £150 I’d snap their hands off. It does seem bulky at first but it really fits the hand well, descent is really easy and very controlled with the thumb brake and hand lever. Ascent is great, once you get to limbs etc you can literally climb the tree and just push rope through the SJ3 with ease. The lock out feature is great too for work positioning. 

Its only drawback is they hate friction so if you climb climb a lot of big trees and use natural redirects you’ll have to swap natural for strap and biner to keep everything silky smooth. 

Mine is paired with a ropeguide and the combination is effortless. 

Before SJ3 I was on a ZZ and hands down prefer SJ3, each to their own however. 

• Like 3

I was going to get a SJ but noticed the lever is prone to getting knocked in a working situation potentially resulting in a sudden drop. (I know the mk111 has a lockout function now)
Because of this I opted for the ZZ. Once my mk11 suffered from the all too common cracks on the upper links I did a free swap for a mk111 and I’ve had no problems with it. I do a bit of LOLER work and haven’t come across or even heard of any cracking issues on the mk111. Looks like Petzl have finally nailed it. [emoji106]

• Like 1