Carlton 1790 Chipper

Glenn321

Evening All,

New on here fairly new to tree work (18months). Just wondering what you guys all thought of the above. 

Friend of mine is from the US and all the use is Carlton or Bandit in his area. 

I've seen one for sale and was wondering what you all thought. Any experience and knowledge of local dealers/support would be good. Based around the Midlands. 

Cheers,

Glenn 

Support from the importer will be hit and miss at best. They now sell Forst! That being said, robust build and heavy. If I was a machinery dealer like Global Sales in the Midlands, I'd take it for service work and talk to you about spares costs and availability prior to doing work.

14 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Support from the importer will be hit and miss at best. They now sell Forst! That being said, robust build and heavy. If I was a machinery dealer like Global Sales in the Midlands, I'd take it for service work and talk to you about spares costs and availability prior to doing work.

Sorry Pete,

so are you a dealer or can you undertake service work? 

The machine is a 2009 with 600hrs. I'm good condition and has been owned from new by a friend of mine from Scotland. 

Like you say they are heavy. It comes in around 2.4ton and will be pulled by a defender so fully loaded it's all going to weigh a fair bit. 

I've just never really seen people use them in the UK. Just wondering if it's due to service etc. 

I also run a TW150 and 190 so this thing is more a want than a need but I'm keen to make it earn its keep. 

Also so if anyone wants to comment on how much my TW150 would be worth I'm thinking of selling her on. It's a 2014 with 350hrs (going up daily). 

Cheers,

Glenn 

• Like 1

I know of a tree surgeon who has just sold his Carlton 1790 as it was costing too much to run - plus backup and parts availability in the UK is poor.  Had electrical faults which were costly to repair. 

My advice would be to go with a brand that will give you decent back-up and support - people speak highly of the Forst ST8 chipper, try getting one of those on demo 

Edited by Bobbies
grammar error
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bobbies said:

I know of a tree surgeon who has just sold his Carlton 1790 as it was costing too much to run - plus backup and parts availability in the UK is poor.  Had electrical faults which were costly to repair. 

My advice would be to go with a brand that will give you decent back-up and support - people speak highly of the Forst ST8 chipper, try getting one of those on demo 

I wonder if it's the one a friend has for sale (plant dealer). 

Is is he based around derby or the Lake District (can't remember where it's based now haha) 

It's a shame the support isn't available in the U.K. For them. 

Out of intereste what did your friend sell his for? One I'm looking at is 2009 machine for 8k + vat 

regards,

Glenn 

No I think his was an older machine, think a trader offered him around 4k with the electric fault but not sure what he sold it for in the end. 

Sound good value for a 2009 machine with 12" capacity but I guess you run the risk of downtime if you have to wait for parts to come in from US.  Also could be hard for you to see on if you decided to change it in a few years time... 

Is it the 12 inch capacity that's tempting you? 

3 hours ago, Bobbies said:

No I think his was an older machine, think a trader offered him around 4k with the electric fault but not sure what he sold it for in the end. 

Sound good value for a 2009 machine with 12" capacity but I guess you run the risk of downtime if you have to wait for parts to come in from US.  Also could be hard for you to see on if you decided to change it in a few years time... 

Is it the 12 inch capacity that's tempting you? 

I guess I'm drawn to it purely because i love a toy haha. Ideally i would like it to have some worth in a few years once I'm done with it but hopefully someone will want it. I've seen a few over here in the UK so people do use them just not as common as most brands. i like things that are different i guess. 

Will give Orange a call tomorrow after work. 

Hi Glenn, I don’t think large Carlton chippers ever took off here. We are the Bandit dealer & the 12”chipper has been our best seller for Six years now, the price of the Carlton sounds like a steal. It shouldn’t be to difficult to look after, we keep all the bearings etc & can supply knives, I don’t think there is much out the ordinary.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GlobalNewark said:

Hi Glenn, I don’t think large Carlton chippers ever took off here. We are the Bandit dealer & the 12”chipper has been our best seller for Six years now, the price of the Carlton sounds like a steal. It shouldn’t be to difficult to look after, we keep all the bearings etc & can supply knives, I don’t think there is much out the ordinary.

Thanks Global, 

its a little more reassuring knowing there's someone that can get parts and service etc. Where abouts are you guys based? 

I do also like the bandits but like you say, this ones come up cheap and well even if I spend a few quid making it reliable I think it will be very useful for us. 

I have however just noticed the mention of 12", I believe the 1790 is the 9inch not the 12. Not sure if people will view it differently on that basis but from what I've seen and by speak to my friend in the US they chip over 9" just more stress on machine I guess. 

Could be wrong and it maybe 12.... I've never pretended to know what I'm talking about haha