Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

1 hour ago, scottythepinetree said:

20 rep sets (how many sets?) could be what did your knees in. I get that you want to stay away from one rep maxes, but have you considered meeting in the middle? 8 rep sets or similar?

If you're really set on volume, you could try rest/pause with a rep goal. For example, pick a weight that you can do 8 reps with fairly handily. (Don't worry if it's too light this session). Then do 3 sets trying to hit 25 reps over the 3 sets. Do as many reps as you can for each set with perfect form, stopping at technical failure (i.e. you can't do any more without breaking form). Take 5 deep slow breaths between each set (30-60 seconds) and go again. If at the end of this, you have hit 25+ reps, add 5kg to the bar in your next session.

For squats, twice a week should be enough. Especially if you're experiencing adverse effects. It's easy for the first couple of sessions, but then it gets brutal. You can't really adapt because both the volume and intensity is auto-regulated. It is possible to plateau. If this happens, pick your poison (try to grind through or drop the weight a few %) and take a run at it again. I find either one hit and miss. If one doesn't work, the other usually does.

Not sure about your back issues (every injury is different of course), but for me, RDLs/SLDLs got me back to full strength pretty quickly. Their much safer than lifting off the floor, with a lot of the same benefits. I find with deadlifts, you get 100% of the weight instantly, right when you're in the most vulnerable position. With RDLs/SLDLs you increase the forces on your lower back gradually, starting in a position where it's least vulnerable. It's not a perfect substitute for the strength gains made pulling and grunting from the floor, but weighing up risk/reward I think the smart money is on RDLs for me.

Thanks for all the feedback - it's much appreciated.

It was definitely overdoing the squatting that did the patella tendons in. I just love squatting and I wasn't getting any DOMS, but with me being relatively new back to lifting, my ligament and tendon strength just wasn't there. Nevermind though - did my first squats just with the bar last night and it was fine. I'm not going to do as much squatting again in the future, but I'll build it up to twice a week again.

The deadlifts are helping too. I find lowering the weight in a fully controlled manner sore (most of the time) so I focus on the concentric, with a controlled drop for the eccentric. Additionally find Pendley rows to be excellent. 

I've started rowing too as I have a Concept 2 in the gym. I've only just started, but I have been told I have huge potential with it as I'm very tall, fairly heavy (but not too heavy) and have a cardiovascular sports background from when I was a kid (timetrial cycling). I've only done a little bit, but my 500m time is pretty strong and I have to exert far less effort (and fewer strokes) to row at a similar pace to shorter guys. I'll see how I get on with it :D

15 hours ago, Big J said:

I've started rowing too as I have a Concept 2 in the gym.

Nice. Concept 2 isn't cheap, but there aren't really many other options for someone your size. You'd outgrow a cheaper one in a week or two. Be careful though. You'd be surprised how many people develop back problems from rowing with bad form. Very similar movement pattern to deadlifts/rows, but high reps/low weight and encourages pushing through fatigue. Some people get sloppy when they get tired and let their back round. Over time, this can cause problems if you're not careful.

15 hours ago, Big J said:

Additionally find Pendley rows to be excellent. 

I like Pendlays. I find them hard not to cheat rep when the weight gets heavy (for me that's about 100-110kg), which makes it hard to judge progression. There's not supposed to be any eccentric with them. Explosive concentric and then drop. I do 8 rep sets. I often find myself doing the first 4 or 5 with perfect form, explode, touch the chest, drop with no movement in the legs or torso. Then when I get to rep 6 or so, I get stuck a couple of inches from the chest. Before I know I've done it, I have given it a little bump with leg drive. I'm a stickler for form, so it becomes a judgement call as to whether to count the rep or not. Some of the biggest guys in my gym allow themselves lots of this and still count the reps.

I try to compensate with low rows, weighted pull-ups and lat pulls though. They're easier to be controlled with. The explosive stuff is hard not to cheat a little.