Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

I am really enjoying a level of fitness that I have not felt since I was younger so I am grateful for that.I did have to make a significant change in my life but is who I am now I will never go back.However I have been neglecting the gym the last few months.But my tree work and cycling have kept me in shape I believe.So this morning I ventured back.Truth is I found it easy.I am certainly still getting stronger.I shalt to get in three or four times a week.keep up the momentum.20190731_201607.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am back into the swing of things nutrition and training wise.I had six months to a year where I didn't, go often mainly due to the fact that after climbing or a heavy day cutting and moving timber I was tired.But I have had a second wind.Three years ago when I was contemplating giving up alcohol I needed a replacement for the pub.On my first day going up the staircase towards this gym I looked at this poster and thought one day I will realise I have become a new and improved me.I only ever wanted to lose weight and take my mind off drinking.Had a great two weeks back at it.Down to 98 kg now and getting stronger and stronger.Sleep improves...Tree climbing is easier than ever and groundwork just like Cardio .....I was always into Fitness as a kid and it has come full circle.Going to take the dog out now then get an hour in at the gym before a couple of small tree jobs.Happy days indeed.20191005_070215.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well I'm back to training again. 

I stopped about two years ago with tendon issues in my elbows. I'd be lifting for about 8 months at that point, after a 10 year hiatus. In June 2018, I was about 118kg (at 6ft 8") with squat at 150, bench at about 115kg and deadlift 200kg. Overhead was just under 100 I think.

Anyway, since doing more machine work, I've really been struggling with my back. I had a lot of time over winter where I was genuinely struggling to walk at times. Couldn't lift anything off the ground and my lower spine with a really funny shape. 

Through the first month of lockdown, I flirted with the weights a bit (have a full gym at home) but nothing consistent. About 6-7 weeks ago I started to take it seriously, training most days and working around my lower back issues to get lifting more consistently. It's hard working around a serious back issue, but in that time it's hugely improved and I'm 80% of the way back to full lower back health. 

My routine now is mainly based on 20 rep squats. Just starting light (up to 57.5kg for 2 sets of 20 now), adding 5kg every 8 days and squatting every other day. It's lots and lots of repetition and my back is happy enough with it. Legs are adjusting to the volume. Supplementing with normal bench, football bar bench, overhead press and loads of upper and middle back work. No deadlifts at the moment. It's actually not the back holding me back there but my knees, which don't appreciate it, even on a trap bar.

Bodyweight has shot up. 105kg 7 weeks ago. 114kg now. Minimal fat gain. I find gaining weight really easy. Probably bulk to 125kg then cut back to a lean 115kg and try to hold that. 

Either way, it's good to be lifting again. Trying to be disciplined and stay away from 1 rep maxes so I don't injure myself. 

• Like 3

Great to hear you are back at it Big J. I,m currently into my first month of re-training after being inside 23 hours a day over the course of the Pandemic.I only have dumbbells but I am trying to get lean again and have shed 10 kg through cycling and a return to healthy eating.Lean muscle mass is my goal.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I overdid it on the squats. Gave myself tendonopathy in both my patella tendons! ?

That was about 2 months ago and they are recovering fairly well. No squatting yet, but lunges and deadlifts are OK. 

No back issues now really. The odd stiff day but 90% functionality has returned, which I'm happy with. Bodyweight it up to a steady 120kg, which is sensible for someone my height. Strength is going up well too. 

I bought a Concept 2 rower a little while back too and I'm enjoying that also. A solid all body workout and terrific for your cardiovascular system. Any other rowers out there? 

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 14:05, Big J said:

Well I overdid it on the squats. Gave myself tendonopathy in both my patella tendons! ?

That was about 2 months ago and they are recovering fairly well. No squatting yet, but lunges and deadlifts are OK. 

No back issues now really. The odd stiff day but 90% functionality has returned, which I'm happy with. Bodyweight it up to a steady 120kg, which is sensible for someone my height. Strength is going up well too. 

I bought a Concept 2 rower a little while back too and I'm enjoying that also. A solid all body workout and terrific for your cardiovascular system. Any other rowers out there? 

20 rep sets (how many sets?) could be what did your knees in. I get that you want to stay away from one rep maxes, but have you considered meeting in the middle? 8 rep sets or similar?

If you're really set on volume, you could try rest/pause with a rep goal. For example, pick a weight that you can do 8 reps with fairly handily. (Don't worry if it's too light this session). Then do 3 sets trying to hit 25 reps over the 3 sets. Do as many reps as you can for each set with perfect form, stopping at technical failure (i.e. you can't do any more without breaking form). Take 5 deep slow breaths between each set (30-60 seconds) and go again. If at the end of this, you have hit 25+ reps, add 5kg to the bar in your next session.

For squats, twice a week should be enough. Especially if you're experiencing adverse effects. It's easy for the first couple of sessions, but then it gets brutal. You can't really adapt because both the volume and intensity is auto-regulated. It is possible to plateau. If this happens, pick your poison (try to grind through or drop the weight a few %) and take a run at it again. I find either one hit and miss. If one doesn't work, the other usually does.

Not sure about your back issues (every injury is different of course), but for me, RDLs/SLDLs got me back to full strength pretty quickly. Their much safer than lifting off the floor, with a lot of the same benefits. I find with deadlifts, you get 100% of the weight instantly, right when you're in the most vulnerable position. With RDLs/SLDLs you increase the forces on your lower back gradually, starting in a position where it's least vulnerable. It's not a perfect substitute for the strength gains made pulling and grunting from the floor, but weighing up risk/reward I think the smart money is on RDLs for me.

• Like 1