Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

If you are able to squat every day as a beginner, you're not working hard enough. I use the term beginner to describe your experience with squatting. Seasoned profession weighlifters will squat near enough every day, but they've got years and years of experience under their belt. 

By all means squat regularly, but if you maintain a high volume throughout your cycle then make sure to have regular deload weeks. Otherwise, squat regularly, but don't go heavy too often.
If you ain't going heavy you aren't trying [emoji6]

I'm all about volume on all of my excercises.Will up the Kg's and drop the reps.
While you're still new to squats Silky, up the weight gradually. There isn't a rush. Make sure you nail your form and range of motion. Don't add weight and then only do half ass reps like I see most off the gym monkeys doing
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bigtreedon said:

If you ain't going heavy you aren't trying emoji6.png

There comes a point though where you burn out. I'm wondering a little whether me getting flu for the first time in 6-7 years has anything to do with squatting every other day for 3 weeks. Maybe not.

Either way, you can still achieve valuable training results without going very heavy. 20 rep squat sets, speed work, the all important form work, paused squats etc etc etc.

• Like 1

There comes a point though where you burn out. I'm wondering a little whether me getting flu for the first time in 6-7 years has anything to do with squatting every other day for 3 weeks. Maybe not.

Either way, you can still achieve valuable training results without going very heavy. 20 rep squat sets, speed work, the all important form work, paused squats etc etc etc.

You have all inspired me! So 2 weeks ago I joined the gym. I’ve been doing basic cardio and some bodyweight exercises (squats , rows(?), press ups and some dumbbell work on my sore shoulder)
Question is what weight should I start on for the squats as after 2 weeks it’s seemingly pointless doing the squats now without weight as I’ve been doing 6 x 15. So need to add weight but don’t want to go too quickly and also need to just practice on low weight so I get the stance/ form whatever you call it right!
Or do I need to get some training sessions?
Thanks in advance Richard
  • Like 1

Excellent! Welcome to the fold Richard :D

Form is the key thing. Learning to squat correctly means that you will build muscle and strength most efficiently whilst minimising the risk of injury. Move onto squatting with the empty barbell (20kg) for a session and go from there. Keep the rep range high, and work with a weight that you can easily do 15 at. You don't want to be challenging yourself too much at this stage as without the basis of good form, you'll quickly end up getting the weight up whichever way your body can, which can sometimes be ugly. 

Importantly, get someone with experience to watch your reps. Or take a video and post it here.

Remember with squats there is loads of different ways to perform it. Do what suits you best/ best stability/range of motion/form etc. Everyone has different hip/leg/back structures. The way that the 20 stone shredded guy with legs like waists does it may not be best for you. Add weight gradually. Experiment with narrow-wider stances, bar high-low on the back, toes pointing straight-angled etc

Excellent! Welcome to the fold Richard [emoji3]

Form is the key thing. Learning to squat correctly means that you will build muscle and strength most efficiently whilst minimising the risk of injury. Move onto squatting with the empty barbell (20kg) for a session and go from there. Keep the rep range high, and work with a weight that you can easily do 15 at. You don't want to be challenging yourself too much at this stage as without the basis of good form, you'll quickly end up getting the weight up whichever way your body can, which can sometimes be ugly. 

Importantly, get someone with experience to watch your reps. Or take a video and post it here.

Thanks for that I think I’ll go tonight when it’s busy and talk someone into watching me when they are in between lifts. It seems like lots of people in there spend as much/more time resting as lifting, but then they are lifting far far greater weight than I do since I’ve only done 7kg dumbbells and body weight[emoji5]
  • Like 1