Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

Like anything there are massive variables but my 2p is under 25, the harder you work the stronger you get! Forget the gym! 25-30, lifestyle changes, maybe kids are coming along, pop into the gym for squats and a few pull ups, but you are still young and good!
30-35, this is your time to go for it, you shouldn't need to be at work so long and doing 7 days, your body will be bust with RPI so isolate your training to chore and flexibility! Get the body you want for through your 40's. 40's, can't remember last time you went to the gym, biscuits are nice, mortgage has a fare dent in it and kids and wife exhaust most of your energy so just do your best! 50's well I'm not there yet!:)

• Like 5

I do, I compete in various challenge races so I need to. My training changes day to day on a cycle from heavy for strength to dynamic for flexibility, fitness and endurance.
The average tree surgeon however is probably stronger than your average office rat who goes to gym three times a week. The fact we use our hands to grip and pickup stuff all day long will obviously create strong tendons with muscle which have dense fibres.

No is my opinion, although being smart and trying to keep flexible with a good chore helps.

I work with many young guys who are very fit as in they gym, run, swim and lift with very athletic strong physiques.

I smoke, drink beer and like cake.

when in a tree I can/could climb all day without breaking into much of a sweat, yet the gym guys would be sweaty messes after about 30mins.

The difference is experience, experience is everything and being attuned to your job.

I can climb take down a tree and work on the ground considerably faster than most of the guys I have worked with being big has nothing to do with it and as for being to muscular it's a bit like saying some one is to rich there is no such thing big is best [emoji41] 1cb4d95bf9932ea527d2a5d9c0b1697b.jpg 190kg close grip

I've just started lifting weights (gently) again after a 9 year hiatus. I've had a nasty, niggling back injury for 10 years which has been slowly and incrementally disabling me. The weights (combined with swimming) seem to have had a really positive and rapid effect on the amount of pain I endure each day, so I shall persist.

Excellent benching there Bigtreedon. I only ever got to 140kg close grip, but being 6ft 8", my arms are about three miles long so my range of motion didn't lend itself to benching!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

I can climb take down a tree and work on the ground considerably faster than most of the guys I have worked with being big has nothing to do with it and as for being to muscular it's a bit like saying some one is to rich there is no such thing big is best emoji41.png  190kg close grip

Can't say I agree with that. When your bigger you tend to loose flexibility and obviously weight more.

Yesterday I was taking the top out of a very dead leaning HC over a green house, I was very glad I was not heavier and actually wished I was a bit lighter.

Also your joints are make out of the very same stuff as a 6stone lady, who do you reckons is more likely to need new hips etc, in the years to come?

Have you notice how big dogs never live as long as small ones and the littleuns backends don't go.

All the fit older people I know have always been pretty lean.

Obviously these are only my personal musings, no offence intended :)

• Like 2