Favourite Saw

gary112

Same pot and piston though .......

They recon it’s the auto tune that is at fault. Our local dealer says he gets loads of 560’s in with the same problem. Usually happens after about two and a half to three years. I had one for well over 2 years and he put a new pot and piston in on warranty.. the next one went after 3 years.. won’t be getting another one, which is a shame as they are cracking saws. The local dealer says he’s only going to be stocking 562s.

357xp but ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................Honeybros were being generous with the discount button the other day so I grabbed a couple of Stihl`s, had a quick play with one of them and I think Stihl have closed the gap in the medium saw range.

Bob

image_zps5ecm5eww.jpg

I bought a new 362, love it, really tourqe y. Fave chogging saw

11 minutes ago, TIMON said:

They recon it’s the auto tune that is at fault. Our local dealer says he gets loads of 560’s in with the same problem. Usually happens after about two and a half to three years. I had one for well over 2 years and he put a new pot and piston in on warranty.. the next one went after 3 years.. won’t be getting another one, which is a shame as they are cracking saws. The local dealer says he’s only going to be stocking 562s.

Three years for a mid range saw in everyday use, I don’t think that’s bad.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Three years for a mid range saw in everyday use, I don’t think that’s bad.

Yer, I agree to an extent, but it is the fact that they just suddenly succumb to scoring in the p&p. If it was gradual wear I’d understand it.
We’ve got 346’s that have been with us for 10 years.
If I was hand cutting in forestry I’d expect it.

The strato saws seem to suffer from the air filters not being cleaned. Less supporting area on the piston skirts, fine dust gets through from poor maintenance (or lack of maintenance) and compression falls off until it stops working.

The solution is to remove the air filter, split it and then clean both halves with a compressor and a bit of spirit or lube oil. Most people seem to brush the top of the air filter and the bottom is covered in fine woodchip which eventually finds its way in!

The pic below is from a 560, the filter looked relatively clean but look at the difference between the cleaned mesh panel and the blocked one - it was also running lean due to the autotune making up for the blocked air filter!

air filter.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The strato saws seem to suffer from the air filters not being cleaned. Less supporting area on the piston skirts, fine dust gets through from poor maintenance (or lack of maintenance) and compression falls off until it stops working.

The solution is to remove the air filter, split it and then clean both halves with a compressor and a bit of spirit or lube oil. Most people seem to brush the top of the air filter and the bottom is covered in fine woodchip which eventually finds its way in!

The pic below is from a 560, the filter looked relatively clean but look at the difference between the cleaned mesh panel and the blocked one - it was also running lean due to the autotune making up for the blocked air filter!

air filter.jpg

Off to clean my filter,   eeek

Fave saw at present is my 560. Running it with a 20" bar to ring up oversized wood for the processor. Time will tell if it remains a favourite. 

Edited by Woodworks

6 hours ago, spudulike said:

air filter.jpg

this is why I split the air filter,  blow it out with the airline, rinse it in brake cleaner.  I then stick me thumb over the air inlet and blow out the area around where the 'carb' is. 

My fave saw atm is an Echo 2511 TES as it 's super light and compact and punches way above it weight.  560xp is a good saw but I dunno how long it'll last compared to a trusty 357xp I have.