Why isn't the arbtalk employment working for me.. :(

benedmonds

It’s hard to impossible to find decent staff and always has and always will be. 

The money involved in training does not really help , no one from an average back ground can afford that and you hear constantly that there is no one available... the average working person can not afford it and struggles to pay the bloody bills and look after there kids let alone an nptc in basic chainsaw use.. I’ve known a few people now to rack it up on credit cards but it really annoys me when you hear people winge that young folk don’t want to work any more... this industry just attracts middle class playboy kids who’s parents buy them every thing who very quickly realise they are not cut out for hard work all year round and it’s really not that glamorous! 

• Like 8

What, with minimal practical industry experience & entry level skills, do you perceive is a reasonable starter wage?

I didn't think this was a reasonable wage. I'm not expecting the earth but I'm 35 and still have bills to pay. All I was after was £10ph. I done an 11.5 hr shift and earnt £94.87. He has a subbie that only has basic lantra saw qualification and chipper and is on £90 for a 9hr day

51 minutes ago, Nathanzac said:

I didn't think this was a reasonable wage. I'm not expecting the earth but I'm 35 and still have bills to pay. All I was after was £10ph. I done an 11.5 hr shift and earnt £94.87. He has a subbie that only has basic lantra saw qualification and chipper and is on £90 for a 9hr day

I understand your dilemma perfectly. However, without experience most people are very unproductive compared to those with even 6 or 12 months in the job. It is difficult for an employer to invest time & money on a trainee at anything above basic wages and still remain profitable. Often the training phase will mean they have to overstaff jobs, which can have a significant effect on the bottom line.

The subbie on £10 hour will have to buy all his own kit, have zero holiday pay, zero employment security, zero sickness cover etc. To be honest the wage you were offered is on parity or more than the subbie. 

I am not taking sides on this, as I have been on low wages in the past & also had to negotiate wages with my own employees. The bottom line is, sadly, that without experience to back up you qualifications, your going to be fighting for a decent wage. I hope you get something acceptable sorted soon.

• Like 1

In the past I have advertised for freelancers and permanent members of staff on here and always got a bunch of enquiries......  Not always good, but I have taken on good people in the past. 
Some still work for me..  Several others are now running their own teams now. Others have moved on..  

The last couple of times I have put an call out for employees I have had no replies...  
Has word got out I am horrible to work for?  Does my online persona make Canopy look like an awful place to work..?  [emoji4]

I am looking for freelancers, and full time climbers, in an ARB approved firm, with great kit, good guys, fair pay and you rarely ever see me on site... Honest..
[email protected] 
01332 875 869
Based in Draycott- DE72 3NX - East Midlands - Not a silly work day 8.00-4.30.  Mostly domestic work. Willing to invest in and look after our staff..

It seems that in our area there's a shortage of decent skilled workers Ben. I simply don't have enough days in the week to keep everyone happy.

If you want to attract the decent guys maybe offer a bit better than the competition. That way they'll come to you and are more likely to stick around.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

It seems that in our area there's a shortage of decent skilled workers Ben. I simply don't have enough days in the week to keep everyone happy.

If you want to attract the decent guys maybe offer a bit better than the competition. That way they'll come to you and are more likely to stick around.

It's not just the skilled staff. previously a job offer on arbtalk would get half a dozen responses, last couple of times none... It can't be to do with rates as they are not mentioned on the advert.  

My issue at the moment isn't because we have lost staff, I am pretty happy with my teams at the moment, I just need some more..  I have changed to way we employ and we now don't use many freelancers like we did in the past.  I have invested in upskilling our full time employees and that is now starting to pay off.. The down side is I used to have a pool of 5 or 6 freelancers, but as I have not used them in a while they are now running their own show or with their regular firms.. 

Just a idea maybe instead of wanting climbers witch I understand as they bring more to the table but maybe lower the criteria to a experienced groundie as there could be the ideal candidate but just don’t have the money to get more tickets or such like and might be loosing faith .. all the best ..

11 minutes ago, jamesivor said:

Just a idea maybe instead of wanting climbers witch I understand as they bring more to the table but maybe lower the criteria to a experienced groundie as there could be the ideal candidate but just don’t have the money to get more tickets or such like and might be loosing faith .. all the best ..

I am open all sorts I have taken on experienced guys who's best climbing days are over, to total newbees.. Having an old hand in a team can be great for getting the newbees experience and  they can drive (pre 97 licence even better), unlike many youth today..... 

• Like 2

I am open all sorts I have taken on experienced guys who's best climbing days are over, to total newbees.. Having an old hand in a team can be great for getting the newbees experience and  they can drive (pre 97 licence even better), unlike many youth today..... 

Just a bit of food for thought mate as most of us have been there before looking for work it gets a bit down hearting

Tree Surgery is pretty undersold to youth I think, most school leavers are set on either university and graduate jobs or on vocational building trades. Perhaps more promotion at that level will increase the skill-set/employment pool.

How many of you have been a tree surgeon since you were 16? Compare that with asking a group of builders how long they've been in their trade?

I guess the responsibility for the increase in Arb awareness as a career lies with the colleges and the Arb Association?

Edited by wiley