Why isn't the arbtalk employment working for me.. :(

benedmonds

In the past I have advertised for freelancers and permanent members of staff on here and always got a bunch of enquiries......  Not always good, but I have taken on good people in the past. 

Some still work for me..  Several others are now running their own teams now. Others have moved on..  

The last couple of times I have put an call out for employees I have had no replies...  

Has word got out I am horrible to work for?  Does my online persona make Canopy look like an awful place to work..?  :)

I am looking for freelancers, and full time climbers, in an ARB approved firm, with great kit, good guys, fair pay and you rarely ever see me on site... Honest..

[email protected] 

01332 875 869

Based in Draycott- DE72 3NX - East Midlands - Not a silly work day 8.00-4.30.  Mostly domestic work. Willing to invest in and look after our staff..

Edited by benedmonds
  • Like 2

I have just looked into your persona ! maybe they do not like driving a landy.  as Marula says its difficult getting the right staff the young lads just want to play on there x box or I phones now and again you come across one that has work ethics in them but need a fair bit of training even to do the basics but if they are willing and reliable you are half way there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marula said:

That's a very reasonable work day in this industry, I don't think it's you, it seems loads of firms can't find people.

can you really blame them? unless you are a subby or run your own firm, the pay isn't great. Especially since you need £1000 worth of quals just to get your foot in the door.

• Like 3

I have the opposite problem. I've advertised on here for work a couple of times but never had any response. I've recently qualified, bought all my own kit and am very keen to work within this industry.
I was taken on with a local guy but he wanted me to work for £8.25 ph and work 10.5 to 11.5 hrs a day

• Like 1

The industry is juxtaposed in terms of expected and actual pay. An employers view of a 'fair' days pay is seemingly very different to an employees.

The issue of 'freelance' or self employed basis which is grossly misused in the arb industry.

The arb industry is an exciting concept so attracts a lot of people. They all do a short course then are battling for starter roles but have a perceived pay rate in mind.

58 minutes ago, Nathanzac said:

I have the opposite problem. I've advertised on here for work a couple of times but never had any response. I've recently qualified, bought all my own kit and am very keen to work within this industry.
I was taken on with a local guy but he wanted me to work for £8.25 ph and work 10.5 to 11.5 hrs a day

What, with minimal practical industry experience & entry level skills, do you perceive is a reasonable starter wage?

• Like 1

Also genuine PAYE rates always seem to look poor in relation to the genuine SE rates people discuss.

Agreed. It gives a very poor comparison/expectation. Yes, good genuine contract climber should be £150-200 a day but you are not going to find PAYE climbers on more than £32k, maybe £35k if they are leading larger teams/other responsibilities. That is the glass ceiling for the role in the UK in my opinion.

At the lowest end of the scale though you have to consider minimum wage is steadily increasing and the so called 'living wage' is pretty high. In the South east you are expected to pay £10 an hour plus for completely unskilled labour. At a direct effect an experienced groundworker will want £100-120 PAYE.