Why isn't the arbtalk employment working for me.. :(

benedmonds

Just now, Bootroyd said:

Lol no this is self employed subbies!

Threads on here about wages are always end up stupid as folk end up not comparing like for like.   

Also remember (this has been discussed here before) the HMRC would classify your groundie as employed and therefore technically could claim all the benefits you have not been giving them... so be careful with your £130 groundie,  the HMRC turn around and chase his employer the tax he hasn't been paying.

and 

He could take you to an employment tribunal and get his holiday pay, sick pay and even sue for unfair dismissal..

It is why I have moved over from employing people "free lance" to employed.  Unfortunately potential employees see threads like this and think they should be on £130 a day grounding "that's what Bootroyd pays..."

Threads on here about wages are always end up stupid as folk end up not comparing like for like.   

Also remember (this has been discussed here before) the HMRC would classify your groundie as employed and therefore technically could claim all the benefits you have not been giving them... so be careful with your £130 groundie,  the HMRC turn around and chase his employer the tax he hasn't been paying.
and 
He could take you to an employment tribunal and get his holiday pay, sick pay and even sue for unfair dismissal..

It is why I have moved over from employing people "free lance" to employed.  Unfortunately potential employees see threads like this and think they should be on £130 a day grounding "that's what Bootroyd pays..."

Fair point but this is just hyperthetical talk, I was just answering the original thread and putting my thoughts out there as an example as to why perhaps people are having difficulty finding reliable staff, it's all a matter of opinion i guess......good to talk tho as this is what arbtalk is for bouncing ideas off each other.......

Yes I agree with you, but for me personally I'm genuinely just happy for someone to turn up in time lol....but in all seriousness and I get totally what yr saying it can be hard to find the right blend but for me I've found if I can get on with someone or have a laugh and feel comfortable in someone's presence then that's the most important thing for me, the rest will follow, I'd much rather have a groundie who was inexperienced but I got on with than the reverse, it doesn't take long to get someone up to speed on the ground, some of the best groundies I've had hav had little to no experience Atall and I've trained them up within a few days, basic rigging, snedding up ect, chipper management, stacking ect.....being a groundie is not rocket science but a lot of people talk it up to be almost in a way to justify paying them crap money if they are not up to scratch....I don't know it's just my take on it, my theory to it all will not work for everyone but it works for me, value yr as tag and In Turn they will value you! In answer to yr question joe, I'd pay £100 minimum for a groundie for the day and upto £130 without hesitation, £20 here and there ain't worth skimping for if u want a day of good productivity!

I wouldn't necessarily pay an unqualified brash dragger over a oner unless they really grafted, and they do come along. Its definitely worth having an experienced decent bloke on the ground to run things. IMO that's worth the sane as a decent climber, so if sooner have another solid climber on big jobs. That way they can run the ground/rigging, or take turns climbing.

It's not uncommon that I get paid my day rate and work as a groundy.
  • Like 2