Your worst ever worker (stories!)

Mick Dempsey

Had a lad turn up for a weeks work experience from the dole,he was utter shite,never off the phone,always-

"away for a fag" or scratchin his arse,lasted 2 days and never showed the rest of the week.

About a month later my boss came out and asked who this person was who had asked him for a reference...

Yip you guessed it the same fu##wit...

The worst guy I have employed is a climber we will call x :) x is a nightmare, always skint, always late, always cadging smokes , food and drinks , tips the fuel from the saws into his car so he can get home, owes money everywhere , broken loads of shed roofs, conservatories, green houses, fences , dropped things on cars, not when he was on for me thank god but he poked a saw into his arm and had to rescued out of a tree by the fire brigade. He has convinced me he has changed and got his job back on several occasions but soon lapses back into his old ways.He will read this and laugh his head off .

Bob

• Like 1

Many years ago we were subbing with another firm lifting some trees along a road.

We had hired our own traffic lights and the road was pretty intense.

The guy who worked with me at the time was flaky and was using loppers rather than a saw to process the stuff, before we loaded it onto a trailer (I said it was a long time ago!)

So I noticed that a small branch was still laying near the traffic light cable where my groundy had just been working.

Annoyed I went over to get it, lifted it up to see a neatly cut cable underneath!

Cue panic as the traffic was everywhere, the main contractor dug out some insulation tape and we TMed with our hands until it was fixed.

I said to the guy that clearly he had cut the cable and then hidden it with the branch (no other explanation)

His instant reply ......”you can’t prove that”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The worst guy I have employed is a climber we will call x [emoji4] x is a nightmare, always skint, always late, always cadging smokes , food and drinks , tips the fuel from the saws into his car so he can get home, owes money everywhere , broken loads of shed roofs, conservatories, green houses, fences , dropped things on cars, not when he was on for me thank god but he poked a saw into his arm and had to rescued out of a tree by the fire brigade. He has convinced me he has changed and got his job back on several occasions but soon lapses back into his old ways.He will read this and laugh his head off .

Bob

Sounds like he could do with a spell with us! [emoji51]

Thinking about traffic lights Mick, we had hired a set of lights, done the job, Pete packed them up on the little light trailer with the signs, and off we went home in convoy, pete with the lights last. On the M1, cars were going crazy, some were undertaking us, some were overtaking, cars were backed up behind us....was only when we got to the yard we realised pete hadn't turned the lights off! He'd even put the blue and white arrows pointing either side of the truck under the respective lights! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I worked with this tit who was usually so stoned he would have the chipper on for a good few minutes before realising the chip truck had driven away to unload , walking in to drop zones with huge spliff hanging out his mouth was his speciality, I recall one day knocking out a good section of ash timber with an 046 to see him walk in under the tree .. it still sends shiver down my spine as this lump sailed inches passed his back and dug in to soft ground upright behind him and he still didn’t even notice..

• Confused 1

Just a few weeks ago I gave a recently ticketed climber a days experience with us.
He talked a good account of himself so I let him loose dismantling what was I suppose an 80 foot grey poplar.
I called to check progress with my main man on the ground at 11, only to be told that after 3 hours he had only now got up to the top and fixed his anchor point.
I headed over there to see what the holdup was, to arrive just after the first main limb came down, not rigged and lowered but cut and let it go, butt end first straight through a pan tiled roof, through the void, and penetrated the plasterboard ceiling below.
No wonder my hairs turned white and I look about 85.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I called to check progress with my main man on the ground at 11, only to be told that after 3 hours he had only now got up to the top

15 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

main limb came down, not rigged and lowered

so why didn't your presumably quite experienced groundie tell him not to freefall - he must have seen its expected path?