Topping conifers

Harry_L

5e49f386eae1e97707704bb70d51020b.jpg
So not sure what this but was wondering how you could reduce it, i was thinking taking a couple of feet off of the top then trimming the sides? Thoughts,comments?

Cheers [emoji106]

That's pretty much all you can do mate, remember there's nothing alive on the inside so don't take to much off the sides.

I don't know who "A cut above Tree Services" are, but they have a nice page on their website about conifer reductions. http://www.acutabovetreeservices.co.uk/conifer-reducing--trimming.html

I've only been asked to reduce a conifer once in my vast experience of 6 months, luckily I convinced the client that a removal was the best course of action!

Conifer reduction is  a standard part of Tree work in the UK .

Master it and you will have an endless supply of work .......boring   but  it pays  well .

Don't ever underestimate the amount of green waste you generate from a Conifer  trim or reduction .

Work out your price and add more for a removal if your unsure of pricing .

Doing a coni hedge re-reduction taking 15ft off to leave 20ft high hedge, great fun spent 3 days sat on top already, got another 3 to do. 3 on ground clearing up. luckily can just fell them off one side, top handle work and pole saw work

I don't know who "A cut above Tree Services" are, but they have a nice page on their website about conifer reductions. http://www.acutabovetreeservices.co.uk/conifer-reducing--trimming.html
I've only been asked to reduce a conifer once in my vast experience of 6 months, luckily I convinced the client that a removal was the best course of action!

There's some nice work there, but it's perpetuating the myth that a conifer hedge can be neglected for years and a good result can still be had. I'm extremely blunt with jobs like this.

"I can do that, but it'll look shite, you'll get a bare top and minimal off the sides..."
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Marula said:

I'll agree that they are bread and butter for tree surgeons in some areas, I'll agree that they are good for wildlife, mainly nesting pigeons but not much else, I'll also agree that they are good at screening but then again so are other more tolerable hedges.

However they are dirty nasty bastards full of footballs and empty bottles.

I would say pigeons seldom nest in conifer hedges, IME they prefer more open trees for the 5 sticks held together with poo nests, they really are the crappiest nest builders.

Black bird, Tits, Thrush's etc are much more common, IME.

Hedge bashing is not the most glamorous tree work but as I like to say "you have to take the rough with the smooth, and its the rough that makes the smooth feel so nice"

1 hour ago, Harry_L said:

5e49f386eae1e97707704bb70d51020b.jpg
So not sure what this but was wondering how you could reduce it, i was thinking taking a couple of feet off of the top then trimming the sides? Thoughts,comments?

Cheers emoji106.png

yea- I would take it down ....to....abt ground level .. :P K

Conifer reduction is  a standard part of Tree work in the UK .

Master it and you will have an endless supply of work .......boring   but  it pays  well .

Don't ever underestimate the amount of green waste you generate from a Conifer  trim or reduction .

Work out your price and add more for a removal if your unsure of pricing .

I've done two conifer jobs recently, one a hedge, one reducing 5 trees, multiple stems by around 12ft. Only reduced the hedge by around 18" but it had grown really thick and twisty under the greenery, never seen one like that before. Anyway both horrible jobs, and both I under priced again! I bloody hate trying to estimate how much stuff will come off. I will be over estimating the cost in future. Yes they are steady money and yes they are horrible nasty scratchy bastards![emoji107]