Loader mounted winch

Lillywhite Timber

So ive been thinking , dangerous i know !! . Id been toying with the idea of putting together a larger old heavy 4 wheel drive tractor (Ford 8210 or the like) with a heavy duty loader and winch to handle some of the heavier large parkland stuff i come across . An upgrade of the old 4wd major and boughton or cooks winch if you like . 

After a bit of thought and trying to come across a suitable base tractor i concluded there wasnt anything worth starting with below the 10k mark before even buying a loader . I was talking to a local guy in the timber game and he mentioned hed had an ex army artic loader with a winch built onto it and it was an excellent tool , he was sorry hed got rid of it.

It sounds like an obvious one the more i think about it , is there anyone whos used one or seen one in action . The ones ive googled seem to have the winch mounted in front of the cab .

While im on the subject is there anything to stop me making a hydraulic one that mounts to the front of my existing telehandler with spades incorporated . Obviously id have to make sure i had the pressure and flow to drive it off the machines existing hydraulic pump . 

The weight is obviously there (9.5 T) and the headstock is really heavily constructed (far heavier than the back end of a major anyway ) it appears . 

The technical feedback is usually good here and im  only at a preliminary stage far so what do people think ...

• Like 1

What about a wheeled digger? You could have a grab on the digging arm for timber, and a winch up front, they weigh 10 ton or so and the loaders are generally heavier duty than standard farm tractor loaders.

a combination of the jack legs down and the digging arm ground/dug in, can't see it shifting.

purely speculative as iv never seen a 3cx used for tree work really