Why It’s Essential To Use Sharp Chipper Blades

On a point re - manufacturers of chippers and their blades. GreenMech blades are manufactured under license with a copyright on the blade. Any one who is reproducing blades to the manufacturers spec is in breach of copyright. An illegal act is it not? Any copies that are not to the manufacturers design void any warranty.

I won't condone the use of copy blades as if the do fail through a fault, who would cover the damage done to the rest of the machine. Blade failure is indeed very rare, but if they do, the damage can be spectacular. I know of one chap who had a blade come off a brand new Jensen and Redwood referred to the manual which did say 'check the bolts before first use'. The chassis was wrecked and had to be replaced at the customers expense.

I once voided the warranty of a load of machines when the customer advised me that he used copy blades - they went in the bin sharpish (nice pun?)

While there is a place in the market for most things and everyone has a right to earn a living, I don't buy copies or forgeries etc.......whatever the promises made.

• Like 1

On a point re - manufacturers of chippers and their blades. GreenMech blades are manufactured under license with a copyright on the blade. Any one who is reproducing blades to the manufacturers spec is in breach of copyright. An illegal act is it not? Any copies that are not to the manufacturers design void any warranty.

I won't condone the use of copy blades as if the do fail through a fault, who would cover the damage done to the rest of the machine. Blade failure is indeed very rare, but if they do, the damage can be spectacular. I know of one chap who had a blade come off a brand new Jensen and Redwood referred to the manual which did say 'check the bolts before first use'. The chassis was wrecked and had to be replaced at the customers expense.

I once voided the warranty of a load of machines when the customer advised me that he used copy blades - they went in the bin sharpish (nice pun?)

While there is a place in the market for most things and everyone has a right to earn a living, I don't buy copies or forgeries etc.......whatever the promises made.

So if you bought genuine ones and they snapped of and decided to fly around a bit before stopping and wrecked the machine would that be covered?

The chance of them coming off is slim - bearing failure allowing the flywheel to wobble is usually the cause of woe, that or a chunk of steel. But, if a genuine blade, genuinely failed then we would take care of the repair at the factory. Our blades are sunk into a cup, most other blades are surface mounted and therefore, they they come apart then bits fly everywhere, in spectacular fashion, doing untold damage. If a GreenMech disc blade is busted, there is a chance of a chunk going up the spout and the rest staying in the cup, held in with the countersunk bolt.

We have had a customer who suggested that his blades were sub-standard after one cracked, no damage was done to the rotor, casing or shear bars so I gave him a new set. The cost of getting them analytically tested was exorbitant - so he went away happy and we felt that that was the best way forward.

I recently put some prototype blades on a customers machine and something did go bang and damage was done. We put it right. That was on a three year old machine with over 1000 hours. And we lent him a machine.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WesD said:

So how can you be the world's leading brand if said companies manufacture their own blades the same as you do?

If you where the world's leading brand they would still use your blades over their own as yours would surely be better than theirs?!

On your cost logic then surely it would be cheaper for said companies to manufacture their own engines would it not?

Why not mine their own ore and smelt it to make the steel for the machine if we're going to those extremes :D If he said our stuff is crap but buy it anyway would that make everybody happy ? Of course they say their stuff is best it's how marketing works. I've only bought a few files from them and not had any problems, quick delivery and nothing wrong with the product. I dare say the chipper firms buy their teeth in from the cheapest bulk supplier that can make them to their specification and want you to buy their replacements to maintain their profit margins after they lose the machine to your control.