Why It’s Essential To Use Sharp Chipper Blades

Totally agree that blades need to be sharp and kept up to but unsure what the blog explained regarding that. 

Lots of debate regarding genuine or other blades over the years.

i have always been a believer in genuine blades as ultimately as you say that’s the part of the chipper that does all the work tbh but cost is always a consideration.

I haven't read the blog, but why was Timberwolf singled out for attention? Even if it is just in the title, it sort of implies that TW machines behave differently to every other chipper if they have blunt blades. I have been in this game since 1990 and can confirm that no blade works well if blunt!

I know that there is a market place for everything but I would always countenance the use of genuine blades. Would you chuck copy Goodyear's on the family car?

I haven't read the blog, but why was Timberwolf singled out for attention? Even if it is just in the title, it sort of implies that TW machines behave differently to every other chipper if they have blunt blades. I have been in this game since 1990 and can confirm that no blade works well if blunt!

I know that there is a market place for everything but I would always countenance the use of genuine blades. Would you chuck copy Goodyear's on the family car?

Some would throw cheap tyres on a car which is scary in itself.

I would say it false economy to buy cheap blades. I don’t know how much of a pain they are to change but I would think the less often it has to be done the better.
I know for my mowers that genuine ransomes cylinders and blades are about 20% more than copy’s but last a third longer.....

55 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Some would throw cheap tyres on a car which is scary in itself.

tbh, I don't really see a problem with putting cheap tyres on a family runabout...

I have to admit that I feel uneasy about threads that are basically just advertising...

If you use gunuine parts and they fail causing masses of damage to your machine are you covered by the manufacturer?

If you use copy parts with a knifetime guarantee and this happens will the supplier of the knives cover your repair bill?

If the answer to both questions is "no" then its a free for all.

What is a life time guarantee?

I think I was born with a lifetime guarantee on breathing. When I stop the guarantee expires. ( as do I)

Not digging at anyone but what is a lifetime guarantee? It works until it doesn't? It won't break into bits, until it does? I'm confused!

I bought 8 pairs socks from Arborwear at last years Confor show - they had a “lifetime guarantee!

Pretty much worn everyday, and occasionally washed. 1 pair has disintegrated, 1 pair on last legs, remainder holding up ok. I kept all the labels / receipts with the plan of challenging the “life time” guarantee. (That’s how exciting my life is!)

Take yr point Gary, it does not say MY lifetime, it’s the lifetime of the sock. Once it’s fooked, it’s fooked!

Good socks mind, would recommend!

For NAS,

Sorry it was a short first post. I had to dash before being able to write anymore.

I read the blog. Naively, I kind of expected some ground breaking revelation and was a bit annoyed at having wasted time reading it. My fault - my expectation was unusually high on a rare optimistic day.

I felt the style and content of the blog was mismatched with the potential market audience since (I felt) it was a very basic level of info which wouldn’t provide an inspirational new consideration for seasoned users.

Just my view, you can’t please all the people all the time. Offered in the spirit of constructive criticism / feedback. [emoji1303]

2 hours ago, matelot said:

tbh, I don't really see a problem with putting cheap tyres on a family runabout...

I have to admit that I feel uneasy about threads that are basically just advertising...

If you’ve got kids You don’t feel like that , well I don’t anyway!

anyway cheap tyres cost more in the end imo

1 hour ago, Northern Arb Supplies said:

Hi, Richard. As said, all Rotatech blades are manufactured to the highest standard and meet the original specification, meaning they don't need sharpening or replacing any more frequently.

I seem to remember being told that about cylinders and bottom blades for the mowers it was utter c***

• Like 1