Parkgate

parkgate

Question

Now that is an answered thread.

Not so fast there Mr H!

There could be variables...... [emoji16]

For example, the lower leaves of peripheral pendulous foliage MIGHT retain the previous season’s desiccated brown leaves to protect the tasty, delicate new season buds and leaves from the predation of deer if below the browsing line.....

[emoji23]

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not so fast there Mr H!

There could be variables...... emoji16.png

For example, the lower leaves of peripheral pendulous foliage MIGHT retain the previous season’s desiccated brown leaves to protect the tasty, delicate new season buds and leaves from the predation of deer if below the browsing line.....

emoji23.png

Well, that goes without saying.:D

So that's why beech hedge can retain a lot of leaves? That's something I never knew but did wonder about, everyday days a school day.:001_smile:

17 minutes ago, parkgate said:

The leaves are falling!

I was confused as next door have a beech hedge and the leaves seem to remain over winter.

It's because it's trimmed in Aug or thereabouts.  It reduces the production of auxin which triggers abcission.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

It's because it's trimmed in Aug or thereabouts.  It reduces the production of auxin which triggers abcission.

Today I learnt...  thank you. I'd wondered why hedges seemed to hang onto their leaves better than trees (apart from not being blown off!).