Public Liability insurance

HenF

I am fairly new to this trade, and am looking at getting training/qualifications as soon as possible. just wondering, is it possible to get public liability insurance without the qualifications for the time being just to do a few smaller jobs and to get a bit of income (and experience:)) and to help fund the training?

how much would this cost?

thanks your advice is appreciated!

13 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

PLI without ELI is useless for tree work.

They are two different things though. I have always had pli  even when subbing/freelancing/being an employed freelance subby, and eli as and when. My insurance sure as eggs took my money but did assure me I was covering third parties no matter what. 

Both very important though. I would hate to cause a life changing injury to someone and them not be properly compensated.

I know but, my insurance assured me that my PLI was valid even though I didnt have ELI as at the time I didnt have any employees, I could still operate in the eyes of the law. I have never had to claim so I cant confirm the above:)  No offence but I think there is too much hearsay in regards to insurance.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had an accident and their insurance hasn't paid out. Full facts please.

So, in standing with the chocolate teapot circumnavigating the earth, show me an insurance claim that has refused to pay out the PLI on the grounds of not having ELI. Well it is Sunday night and we only have work to look forward to in the morning:D

I had a situation a few years back where a roof collapsed.  When my insurance company were contacted it didn't even get past the first stage as they said liability lies with the guy I was working for.  So they got out of it...  except they also were the insurer of the company I was working for.

in the end it was a customer trying it on.  Nothing came of the whole situation.