Homemade Firewood Processor

TCS

I had been around wood sawing and general firewood for many years. 
I have a sawmill saw (Woodmizer LT30). This means there is also a large supply of slab firewood at my shop.

I wanted to design my own processor and looked around at the various options available.

I had a two jobs to accomplish with this processor design - slabs and split firewood and I wanted one machine to do both.

Lots of chainsaw and buzz saw experience led me to lean in the large blade direction based on the blade maintenance and speed differences.

I found a Ø 26-1/2" Carbide blade on Ebay. I bought the blade and started to layout how the new machine could work.

I came up with a layout that I had not seen anyone else do - I wondered if it would ever work - but I went ahead and built it anyhow.

I have been using it for 3 years now - It saves my back so much for the firewood, I started selling it on the side! cool

• Like 1

The critical component that was analyzed, considered, and reconsidered was the large blade lever.  This device was an important design based on safety, operation, and maintenance. There were very important design assumptions made based on the potential risks of failure.  Shaft sizing and placement along with other mounting positions were part of this requirement.  Pic 2 and 3 show the first concept layout for the lever design.  A sample results plot is shown in Pic 4.

mainframe_R2_sub_assy.jpg

Pic2

blade_proto.jpg

Pic3

lever_review.jpg

Pic4

Edited by TCS

34 minutes ago, chopalog said:

What made you go for a circular saw over a chainsaw?

Hi chopalog

I found the chainsaw choice to be weaker based on the following:

1. Blade maintenance and lifespan  

2. Noise and vibration

3. Smoke

4. General Blade Proximity Hazzards 

5. Speed

6. Sawdust 

Now I know if you had a hydraulic motor running the saw several of these issues would disappear, but the main issue of maintenance would always be there.

I have found the circular blade to be awesome for maintenance intervals.  It need to be sharpened less than once a year.  

I plan to upgrade my power-plant (to a 20hp) and I expect this to lead to much improved speed.

TCS

Edited by TCS
  • Like 1