Theres a hurricane on its way

Steve Bullman

Well, its all over now. They saying another lesser storm on the way Saturday, but my forecast (www.yr.no - Norwegian met - very accurate) says not. Had a bit of work out of it this afternoon, oak branch through a slate roof, four slates broken and another branch hanging by a thread. Rigged the hanger and cut with a polesaw from the ridge, then lowered, then put the roofer's hat on and replaced the slates. Good satisfying job. Another one to do tomorrow, 4 foot silver fir across a private road, will be having a ball winching and levering. Condolences to the family of the Kilkenny man, that was real sad. From the reports it looks like he was attempting to clear the tree at the hight of the storm, around 12.30 and another tree came down and hit him while he was at it. If he'd only left it until later in the afternoon.....but what can you do? Let it be a warning to us.

14 hours ago, flatyre said:

true but if you clear it up as it happens you don't end up with a total mess the next day, and it keeps the roads free for emergency vehicles, I think it was a bit irresponsible to leave trees blocking roads, especially at night.

sorry but id say going out in a raging storm trying to clear up fallen trees is madness!! each to there own though.

carl

Yeah probably wasn't the smartest thing to do but felt it needed to be done, on the plus side got my ugly mug on the front page of the local paper because of it, so a bit of free advertising. Also not to sound like i'm profiting from it (which I am) but getting some decent jobs from the storm. This was an interesting one, limb snapped and barrel rolled over on itself twisting the fibres holding it, two lv lines and an electric fence directly below. removed the brash and started nibbling it up but as we got closer to the break we started getting compression on both sides.

If I could get the images to stick without becoming all distorted that would help????

20171017_140127_resized_2.thumb.jpg.fccf58d152608baa3ebdfc57c431de9b.jpg20171017_171830_resized_1.thumb.jpg.419cb69582b7dd928dc3bbe16a05e834.jpg20171017_182817_resized_1.thumb.jpg.76a81bd04e4421185846805a79fbdc0f.jpg20171017_183239_resized_1.thumb.jpg.0b7029caf221e76b5ed8e9801754c3de.jpg20171017_190331_resized_1.thumb.jpg.84a282dc266b31e727d02125b8b9b24d.jpg20171018_093538_resized.thumb.jpg.cfd8a740ba72dd11c2f35e8115c0b00a.jpg

Edited by flatyre