Dismayed by lowballing/undercutting

Mack

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/17/2017 at 21:49, nailer said:

worrying about someone being cheaper than you is the least of it. over time, it's more than likely you'll be losing work to a firm a lot dearer than you, regularly. that's what you need to be thinking about.. why it happened and what to do about it.

Thats a different perspective I hadn't really thought about!

• Like 1

When you realise you are losing domestic because you're too expensive (even though the original £400 for what was described seemed pretty cheap) and lose commercial because your are too cheap the headache gets bigger! And then on bigger commerciall stuff cheaper wins the migraine of confusion begins and you realise to price everything for what you need/want for it and stop worrying about whether you get it and just evaluate if different kit or staff set ups would have won it if you don't get it. .......this post could go on.

work out what you need and walk away before the money hits that figure. 

Quite simply - accurately work out yr day costs then yr months costs ( includes yr wages and tip n travel ) , one day job put down yr day costs - anything else put in yr monthly costs split by how many days you work - 20 days usually . Dont ever try n beat every price - losers game K

So many ways of looking at this but totally don't stress about it. Customers are very complicated people. Some don't mind paying the money and some do. I've priced and got a few jobs recently and on the journey home I sometimes feel guilty that I have overpriced the job, but then I remember all of the times I have underpriced jobs in the past. Eventually it balances itself out.

If you are snowed under with work, then it shouldn't be an issue to lose out on the job, but if you have the days available to fill I'd rather the money be in my bank than someone else's, as long as your covering your cost and making a bit of profit.

Edited by Gardenscape
  • Like 1