Boxer skid steer opinions

Thesnarlingbadger

Exactly what tasks do you have in mind for the boxer- I haven't used one myself but I think they look a little numb for timber work and the amount of skewing/rotating and travelling you'd have to do on tracks will undoubtedly make a considerable mess in the wrong sites.

if it's mainly timber handling and brash work a mini digger 1.5-3t will be far better suited as long as there isn't distance to be covered, the 360 aspect means you can do a lot from sitting in one place and you have far better degree of accuracy placing timber and sorting brash than a loader, plus you can tidy sites up once your finished, sort out chip piles. pluck out smaller stumps and like any machine is always there to pull those back learners over. On top of that it opens doors to all kinds or other work- if that interests you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

The 'doing a lot from sitting in one place' bit sounds like my kind of dream Matthew!
Much, much more versatile.
But losing the fetching and carrying speed of a mini loader.
If I won the lottery I'd have both.

Heater on, radio on, open can of Stella tucked nicely in the cup holder, all whilst achieving maximum productivity with the smallest wrist movements - you'll be living the dream mate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Heater on, radio on, open can of Stella tucked nicely in the cup holder, all whilst achieving maximum productivity with the smallest wrist movements - you'll be living the dream mate.

Sounds perfect!  Apart from the recognition that you describe the beginning of the journey to a quilted cheque shirt, a beer belly hanging out the front and a builders crack at the back....

No, on balance, I think you're right Matthew!  I'm off to M&M plant first thing Monday :D

• Like 1

A guy I sub to has one. Ill paraphrase him:

It cost around £20k, which is basically a groundies wage for the year with holiday tax etc.

It does the work of multiple groundies, doesn't need holidays/ sick pay/ the shop/ etc.

After the first year three machine will still be worth maybe £17k, whereas the groundies wage is gone.

They're really versatile. I've taken out trees for him which would have been a solid 3 man day by morning break. Stack 10 armfuls of brash and let the loader take them to the chipper in one. Cross cutting stems is minimised, as is clearing sawdust and humping timber is long gone.

Get a tipping trailer to transport it in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Does it come down to tracks v wheels? Tracks will get you in (and out) where wheels might not, but tracks are guaranteed to make more mess than wheels. Tough call....

If the grounds liable to break and chew up even a tracked skid will get stuck, I’ve been running Avants for nearly 13 years now.

Wheeled every time, Vermeer do a good job of pushing their machines which has had an impact on how we see them, sure there size has an advantage but I’d always go wheeled where possible-less likely to chew and break ground meaning more chance of getting across site.

We are contemplating a tracked skid this year for the planting team on commercial site purely for the ease of jumping on and off which is frequently required in our tree planting work.

we already have large 5ton Cat skidsteers visibility though is crap but the lift and push power is their strength.

We now have a range of 1.5 - 21ton excavators as well, and to be honest as said here serious thought should be given to a decent 2.5ton digger digger for tree work. We have a 5ton machine with various grabs, flails and cone splitter only transport becomes an issue, i wish we piped the Tak 2.7ton up and use it more for tree work at least a 3.5ton tow vehicle can move it.

Still out of all the kit the Avants/Multione etc hands down have been the most useful over the last 12months at one point we had 5 working I’d only ever use them as material handlers that’s there strength.

Being well equipped with machines allow us to be productive and require less labour which is more expensive, also the guys we do use appreciate having the kit to do the job efficiently with less manual effort.

Edited by Marc

A large part of the work would be back a forth work across long gardens and such like.
I’m kind of thinking at least the Boxer won’t call in sick and can carry more weight.
Obviously I am restricted with access a bit but most jobs will lend themselves.
It’s also going to be a useful tool around the yard for shifting and lifting. Plus will a new house on the horizon I can see it saving my back with any light building work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

A large part of the work would be back a forth work across long gardens and such like.
I’m kind of thinking at least the Boxer won’t call in sick and can carry more weight.
Obviously I am restricted with access a bit but most jobs will lend themselves.
It’s also going to be a useful tool around the yard for shifting and lifting. Plus will a new house on the horizon I can see it saving my back with any light building work.

Can you even buy boxers any more in the UK?

Yes they are handy for building work, spreading gravel and just generally knocking materials around on site. Also good for pushing out stuck vehicles and trailers, ramming brash into bonfires etc. 

• Like 1