Petrol winches

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m getting one of these for a felling job I have where machine access is impossible.

@aspenarb’s looks superb, but I think it’s home manufactured.

TIA 

Mick

Yes it’s home grown Mick, it’s clutched through a worm drive so no problem to pull and hold. It’s a bit of a lump so needs to go in a wheelbarrow, upside is it’s got loads of grunt and in the absence of an anchor point can be pegged down in the middle of a lawn with four 4’ long 35mm steel pins, these are angled forward so the harder the pull the more it digs in. Not had an ohfeck moment with it yet and it’s pulled in a lot of ugly trees.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, lux said:

Eder power winch from treadlight forestry.

Twice the power of anything on the market. Mine is superb.

Yup, mine too for the little use I have had out of it.

@Mick Dempsey the eder 1800 has two speeds but I have only used the low speed high pull one. When you tighten it up for a fell the tension on the tail applies the throttle, once tight and you ease off the tail  "falls" into a cleat which holds the tension. I always, so far, leave the engine running until I need to pull the tree over. I also always use the decompression valve when starting.

eder1.thumb.jpeg.82a2f1fe01ea7380166f59b465b1bc97.jpeg

rope wound on capstan with tail running round white pulley which is on the throttle lever, in this position the throttle would be wide open.

eder2.thumb.jpeg.6db2f1c8ce7f69660d36b755f8fd0fc1.jpeg

Here the tail is slackened and the throttle is closing, the rope is laying into the holding cleat

eder3.thumb.jpeg.36707bd6176497b14d6b593d52690b8b.jpeg

here the tail is released and the rope is fully held by the cleat were the live line in tension which I didn't go to the trouble of demonstrating fully.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks the business, pulling a crappy, soaking willow and rootball out off water takes some grunt, even with pulleys.

I miss this set up (mini tractor and forestry winch) very fast and very poky, but wasn’t getting used so sold it.
4F1429C0-7DD8-4582-AC06-1E079813A12F.thumb.jpeg.e910b1127346e4727ef4671cd75f05bb.jpeg

Nice little tractor. How much did the loader lift ?

I’ve pulled some epic bits of timber out of some gnarly spots with my Eder. Throw in a mechanical advantage and it’s very very powerful and portable. Did a fair size Ash a couple of months back. It was on an island so dropped it into the lake attached to a line and just winched it across the lake and out. Very silty so had a lot of resistance as the crown pulled through that but did it in one.

I bought mine for one job extracting some fallen trees down a steep wooded hill but have used it much more than I thought I would. Def a good purchase.

7 hours ago, lux said:

Nice little tractor. How much did the loader lift ?

I’ve pulled some epic bits of timber out of some gnarly spots with my Eder. Throw in a mechanical advantage and it’s very very powerful and portable. Did a fair size Ash a couple of months back. It was on an island so dropped it into the lake attached to a line and just winched it across the lake and out. Very silty so had a lot of resistance as the crown pulled through that but did it in one.

I bought mine for one job extracting some fallen trees down a steep wooded hill but have used it much more than I thought I would. Def a good purchase.

We reckoned about 500 kg, in that we had 400kg measurable and 1 fat bloke.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yup, mine too for the little use I have had out of it.

@Mick Dempsey the eder 1800 has two speeds but I have only used the low speed high pull one. When you tighten it up for a fell the tension on the tail applies the throttle, once tight and you ease off the tail  "falls" into a cleat which holds the tension. I always, so far, leave the engine running until I need to pull the tree over. I also always use the decompression valve when starting.

Ok, thanks, not fully understanding but it’ll become clear when I get it in my hands I suppose.