Petrol winches

Im currently working on a site where we could do with pulling a lot of firewood sized material to areas where we can skid with tractor or mini forwarder. 

Has anyone used these smaller 2 or 4 stroke winches seriously in anger. I estimate we could be dealing with up to 100tons per winter. I've spoken several times with Treadlight forestry about the docma winches and that's the way im looking to go.  I just wondered if anyone else had used one extensively day in day out on larger jobs. Especially running several chokers on for short wood, and as a haulback for the bigger winch

Here is one we cobbled together, vid shows it tearing  willow out of a lake with a snatch block. Its a lot faster without the snatch block and more than capable of skidding without one. . It gets staked to the ground so its not swinging about on a strop like the small two stroke jobs.

Bob

• Like 2

We have a small 4 stroke petrol one, Its very good for what it is but it does have its limitations, I wouldnt want to use one for much more than a day, and certainly not on a production job. 

As a haulback for a larger winch it could work very well. 

I think Old Mill on here has a video of ours in use on one of his jobs recently. 

• 3 years later...

I’m getting one of these for a felling job I have where machine access is impossible.

Two questions for those who use or know about these.

1: Can they be used for assisted felling? They seem to be best at continuous pulling rather than pulling and holding like my old tractor winch.

2: What’s the best out there? Prepared to pay for the best. 

@aspenarb’s looks superb, but I think it’s home manufactured.

TIA 

Mick

I’m getting one of these for a felling job I have where machine access is impossible.

Two questions for those who use or know about these.

1: Can they be used for assisted felling? They seem to be best at continuous pulling rather than pulling and holding like my old tractor winch.

2: What’s the best out there? Prepared to pay for the best. 

@aspenarb’s looks superb, but I think it’s home manufactured.

TIA 
Mick

Eder power winch from treadlight forestry.

Twice the power of anything on the market. Mine is superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1