Close to meeting the big man in the sky....

kevinjohnsonmbe

I still find it quite amazing that kids can drive huge powerful tractors with stupid loads on before they can drive a car.

A yooth in a massive tractor nearly took me out on a roundabout recently. Just zero lane discipline. And he had his headphones on so didn't hear the foghorn blast from my little C1! He wouldn't have even realised if he drove over the top of me!
  • Like 1

Did the kid seem apologetic or regretful kev?

Frightened I’d imagine. Big adrenaline hit followed by a good raging at, then a phone call from his Guv’nor who also had the right hump.

I should imagine (hope) he pulled up round the corner and changed his gorillas.

The boss was pretty savage, although he did say he gets numerous complaints and it’s not always the tractor drivers fault. I understand that, there are some career moaners out there.

I’ll ask him how the driver relayed the incident to him, if he tried to blag it, I’ll show him the vid.
  • Like 2

Half the problem is they think they are indestructible when young and in a big tractor they pretty much are! It’s the poor sods they hit that are in trouble.
I helped a farmer last week who had helped me out a year or so back tidy up about a quarter tonne of beans that had spilled onto the road because the young lad driving had stamped that hard on the brakes that the beans slid into the front of trailer and out over the top. Probably too many in there but the lad has managed it 3 times in 2 weeks apparently!

5 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Half the problem is they think they are indestructible when young and in a big tractor they pretty much are!

They are not if they swerve to miss something and land up in a ditch and hit a tree in a tractor and have no seat belt its going to hurt. My brother put tractor in ditch last year to miss a car which was being driven to fast. Hit knee so hard on dash dislodge dials in dash and hit his head on windscreen landed up with big bump on his head.

Tractor is only 30kmph not 40 or even 50kmph. 

Tractor and trailer ( full of maize ) tipped over on the big roundabout near Sainsburys last year .  Eastern European lad driving .  Big roundabout on the A 27 not a pissy little thing . Must have been flat stick in top !

They are not if they swerve to miss something and land up in a ditch and hit a tree in a tractor and have no seat belt its going to hurt. My brother put tractor in ditch last year to miss a car which was being driven to fast. Hit knee so hard on dash dislodge dials in dash and hit his head on windscreen landed up with big bump on his head.
Tractor is only 30kmph not 40 or even 50kmph. 

It’s not always (directly) the fault of the tractor / driver (or the lorry or the digger or the crane etc). I totally accept that and that’s what the company boss was alive to when I spoke to him today.

But the bigger the vehicle the more should be the responsibility of the driver of it - it has the potential to do so much damage.

I’m firmly of the mind that we should all drive on the assumption that there is a complete fwit around every corner because one day (today for me) you will meet one.

My mate lives up that lane and drives it like a lunatic, if it had been him driving today we’d have both been toast!

From 2000-2013 UK road deaths have fallen from an average around 3.5 to 1.7k / PA.

That’s a lot of people not getting home from work.

Ease off a touch and get home safe....
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s not always (directly) the fault of the tractor / driver (or the lorry or the digger or the crane etc). I totally accept that and that’s what the company boss was alive to when I spoke to him today.

But the bigger the vehicle the more should be the responsibility of the driver of it - it has the potential to do so much damage.

I’m firmly of the mind that we should all drive on the assumption that there is a complete fwit around every corner because one day (today for me) you will meet one.

My mate lives up that lane and drives it like a lunatic, if it had been him driving today we’d have both been toast!

From 2000-2013 UK road deaths have fallen from an average around 3.5 to 1.7k / PA.

That’s a lot of people not getting home from work.

Ease off a touch and get home safe....

It is too many not getting home.
I looked those stats up just now and the first few of those years it was fairly steady then dropped off massively which is obviously good. Does make me wonder why? What changed?