Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

I climb part time and do wood carving, milling, furniture making and sculpture the rest of the time. Goes well together, don't get bored and hopefully as my body gets older (32 now) I'll just slip into climbing less......spect I'll always be messing on with trees one way or the other.

Head is firmly in the sand regarding pensions though....be interesting to hear what others do?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billpierce said:

I climb part time and do wood carving, milling, furniture making and sculpture the rest of the time. Goes well together, don't get bored and hopefully as my body gets older (32 now) I'll just slip into climbing less......spect I'll always be messing on with trees one way or the other.

Head is firmly in the sand regarding pensions though....be interesting to hear what others do?

Interesting stuff regarding the milling and carving etc. How did you get into doing that and building up a customer base? Do you have your own mill? I do milling and woodwork as a hobby but if it could make me money as well.....

I'm doing a BSc Urban Forestry, hoping to balance climbing/consultancy over the next 10-15 years and then just alter the ratios as and when I feel. Long term I want some cushty graduate six figure Forestry Commission gig! Oh, and the Army Reserve let you play soldiers until your 55, which is nice pocket money :ph34r: 

Interesting stuff regarding the milling and carving etc. How did you get into doing that and building up a customer base? Do you have your own mill? I do milling and woodwork as a hobby but if it could make me money as well.....

I studied sculpture in Edinburgh then right after got a job humping brash for a tree surgeon. And from there started carving milling etc once I'd got used to using saws.

Got a few lucky breaks with council commissions schools etc ( they all skint now) so managed to build a up a bit work as a folio.....

But I have never advertised or even got a business card all work has been through word of mouth.

If you keen to do it just crack on, and be prepared to be a bit skint for a bit of say. But you have to do it to get the work if that makes sense rather than the other way round

Well in the (nearish) future we will be looking at moving on our websites... so if anyone fancies an arb related e commerce style business then get in touch.

I'd like to focus more on product development and distribution in the future so the e commerce sites will be packaged up and sold.

www.alaskanmill.co.uk will be the cheapest followed by www.sugiharabarsuk.co.uk and then the main flagship www.chainsawbars.co.uk will be next (and that won't be so cheap ;)

We would still be suppliers to these websites so in our interest to encourage them to continue to be successful.