Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

Hmmm Marula- got the same feeling , thankfully my boss now looks at it differently - I am doing more mentoring and training than I would have if I had splashed out the huge wad NPTC were asking , in fact I don't think there are anywhere near enuff assessors abt K

Good thread, it's not easy to think of something, TD Trees is big enough now that I can be off the tools full time if I want to so theoretically I could carry on right through to retirement. Wether I'll want to is another matter.

like others have said, when you're partly off the tools your body suffers, you get weak and then you get hurt when you hit the tools again. I've not really found the answer to this problem yet. And the business suffers when I'm on the tools as running things is pretty much a full time job these days..

• Like 2

I've recently thought a lot about an exit strategy for my business as I find the management side very tedious and, due to arthritis, i can't climb too much. Surveying bores the shit out of me.
My best option is to try and mimic a local arb firm and get others to manage the business whilst I live abroad.

If I get to 55 then 3 days a week cutting old Grannies lawns and carrying on until I drop ...my pension is horiffic so I need to top it up .

I may climb the odd Rhoddhendron now and then .

Picked a Hernia up a 3 weeks ago and feels like my Mrs has a Voodoo   doll and kicks it in the knackers  when I piss her off ... maybe having a bit of time off sooner than I think lol.

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID
  • Like 2

This is something i do think about a lot. I'm only young but with pension ages creeping up all the time i can't see myself still climbing at 70 (i reckon retirement age would be around that age for me!!) or even doing some of the hedge cutting jobs i currently do.

How many of you have your own pension? its something i might think about doing as you can't rely on the state alone tbh.

My aim i guess would be to try and be mortgage free by 50 and then start putting money into a pot there on and do less and less climbing. But for someone who wants to be outside an active i can't see many other options than simply just taking it a bit easier... I can't see myself retraining or sitting in an office when i get older its just not in me.

1 hour ago, jamesd said:

This is something i do think about a lot. I'm only young but with pension ages creeping up all the time i can't see myself still climbing at 70 (i reckon retirement age would be around that age for me!!) or even doing some of the hedge cutting jobs i currently do.

How many of you have your own pension? its something i might think about doing as you can't rely on the state alone tbh.

My aim i guess would be to try and be mortgage free by 50 and then start putting money into a pot there on and do less and less climbing. But for someone who wants to be outside an active i can't see many other options than simply just taking it a bit easier... I can't see myself retraining or sitting in an office when i get older its just not in me.

What age are you James?

Planning an exit strategy is a bit hard because you may not be in charge of your own destiny ....are you now where you  "planned " to be 5 -10 years ago ??   Some time ago I did a lot of studying for the RFS Prof Dip to possibly move in to management of some sort but really could not see myself in an office environment ... so many things can be out of your control , financial , health , personal circumstances can throw any plans out of the window .....I stopped climbing full time when I was 43 -44  not because I could not do it any more I just did not want to... I do a few days now and then ,sometimes a full week or more , I drive a lorry part time as well now and really like the combination of the two , as well as my woodturning work  , and other arty / craft interests . I also own 4 acres of woodland where I can play when I feel like it and I spend as much time on various hobbies and interests as I can , so have not fully "exited " the industry , I do not want to as I still really like it but the level of tedious  bureaucracy and petty rules will be the cause of my ceasing professional work ..