Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

13 hours ago, Ratman said:

Agreed also, i think if you do retire from the day job then you still need something to stimulate the mind and keep you active, something to get up for, even if its to walk the dog or cook breakfast for the wench etc.... if ya mind goes stale then the body shuts down. Seen a few leave work now and just fester and go down hill rapid because they’ve had no get up and go, and get up for goals to achieve. Sad really when you have worked all your life for it.

I'm retired and agree with you. Apart from today when the weather is too bad to want to be outside I keep busy, Diy, vehicle repairs and sporadic forays into the garden plus jobs people ask me to do and I wonder how I had any time to be at work in the office for 12 hours 5 days a week.

Even though physically fit health problems and lack of stamina mean things do take a lot longer than when I was working, I have to acknowledge the fact that old age is debilitating.

I count myself far luckier than the generation that taught me who seldom lived long after 65 if indeed they reached it to draw a pension.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Khriss said:

.....hence the massive pensions black hole as people just ain't dieing quick enuff ! K

I was talking to a old boy the other day who was moaning about paying 40% tax on his pension. Poor old fecker is only drawing £80k a year now he's retired!

18 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I was talking to a old boy the other day who was moaning about paying 40% tax on his pension. Poor old fecker is only drawing £80k a year now he's retired!

He'll be paying 40% on everything coming in above 40k so not so bad. 

That said, if you've paid taxes your entire life and your offspring will also pay inheritance tax on that which you bequeath them, then I think paying tax on a pension is a bit of a piss take. Certainly as you're taxed to the gills on just about every damn thing you buy also. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Not for long- free tv license is being stopped for pensioners next year I think- In practise I don’t agree with it but perhaps it should be means tested as some clearly don’t need the benefit...

Government ( any flavour) have said means testing would cost more than giving the tv licence to one and all. It does slot in to the pension debate though. The reason the Government/BBC want to do away with the free tv licence is because the BBC have a massive pensions deficit.