Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

10 hours ago, difflock said:

He maintained that the man he had known and worked with every day for 70 odd years effectively died on the day of the stroke, despite medical science keeping him alive for an additional 4 years.

Having visited  three of my close family near the end I have instructed people not to visit me once it is clear I cannot remember who they are, by which stage I will have lost any executive ability and won't be me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All I really really want, is to witness, or enjoy? my own wake.
I care not what people would say, hungering more for the raw truth.
Such is life, and indeed death.
mth

I'd rather a "last chance to see..." party
at seventy five.
[emoji106]

As title...mainly for the freelance climbers amongst you.  What do you plan to do after climbing, and when do you plan on climbing till?
Back on topic... surely it's the aim of any climber to climb until they can afford a decent mewp or spiderlift to ease the physical effort of climbing?! (skyhuck being the exception!)
Obviously there will still be climbing only jobs but easing the daily physical requirement can extend your working life.
I don't climb so maybe I'm talking shite but I do notice my climbers are always happy to see the mewp on site!
  • Like 1

Be carefull what you wish for with exit strategies.. Mine was to move off the tools and into running the business and consultancy.. It has all gone to plan and I haven't done any real work in years.... But I am busier then ever, get very little satisfaction out of work, have to exercise to stop getting fat and miss the climbing, which I can no longer do even if I had the time.... and the money still isn't amazing... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Luckily for me I am now Living my exit plan.

After many years as a subbythen running my own tree business I moved into teaching arb alongside my arb business. After arb physically wreaked me I moved from Hampshire to Yorkshire to run a company called Yorkshire Compact Loaders. I now moved once again to Norfolk, as my father is looking to retire so made me a offer I could not refuse and now running the day to day business of a large fishery and luxury caravan/lodge park. 

I am still heavily involved with arb work as our 60 acre site has lots of trees that need attention. So 1 month of my year is planning and carrying out a variety of tree works. Normally with the help of friends I have made over the years.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Be carefull what you wish for with exit strategies.. Mine was to move off the tools and into running the business and consultancy.. It has all gone to plan and I haven't done any real work in years.... But I am busier then ever, get very little satisfaction out of work, have to exercise to stop getting fat and miss the climbing, which I can no longer do even if I had the time.... and the money still isn't amazing... 

Sounds like you need to take the next step up in your business and get in a manager. Then you could go on the tools the odd day, have some time off and still get more jobs done.. 

Kinda sucks if you don't have satisfaction in your work.

• Like 1

Just been to a funeral of a 90 year old man.  He had been reasonably fit till the time he died.

His son took him to see his first great grandchild, a beautiful baby boy.  His grand daughter handed him the baby and he cuddled it for some time and then handed it back to his mother.

He turned around to pick something off the floor and had a massive heart attack and died on the spot.

Traumatic for all those around, but what a way to bow out having just held the next generation in his arms.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Just been to a funeral of a 90 year old man.  He had been reasonably fit till the time he died.

His son took him to see his first great grandchild, a beautiful baby boy.  His grand daughter handed him the baby and he cuddled it for some time and then handed it back to his mother.

He turned around to pick something off the floor and had a massive heart attack and died on the spot.

Traumatic for all those around, but what a way to bow out having just held the next generation in his arms.

They all ways say one in one out and a very spooky thing in our family in febuary, one of my daughters rang me to say that her sister had just had a little boy @ 17.05, when i got home my uncle rang to say my aunt had taken a turn for the worse, 10am morning after my aunt had passed away so one in one out within 24 hrs and then on the day of the funeral one of my daughters did not attend and then annouced later in the day that she had been in hospital having a scan and she was expecting,

• Like 1