Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

3 hours ago, the village idiot said:

I've often thought that it would be a good thing to know how much time you've got to live from a very early age.

I'm basically talking about enforced euthanasia for everybody at say 85, but knowing about it from childhood.

You would be able to plan to do all the stuff you wanted, you can mend any broken relationships. You can die with all your loved ones around, out of a hospital. Have a big, planned 'dying party' where you get to say everything you want to everyone.

Life would become more 'certain' and tangibly special, less would get put off, and a huge drain would be taken off the NHS.

Sounds crazy to begin with (knowing when you are going to die) but I think it has a lot going for it.

Food for thought VI.

Problem is that age isn’t equal.

Some will hit say 65, hitch their Daily Express grey elasticated ‘comfort trousers’ up to their armpits, snooze all day and stink of piss.

Others will still be climbing commercially and drinking 10 pints a night then taking the barmaid home.

I’m going out in a blaze of drugs and whores at 51.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Food for thought VI.

Problem is that age isn’t equal.

Some will hit say 65, hitch their Daily Express grey elasticated ‘comfort trousers’ up to their armpits, snooze all day and stink of piss.

Others will still be climbing commercially and drinking 10 pints a night then taking the barmaid home.

I’m going out in a blaze of drugs and whores at 51.

Yeah right. Mrs Bolam will bash ya ear holes and send you out on the morrow.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, the village idiot said:

I've often thought that it would be a good thing to know how much time you've got to live from a very early age.

I'm basically talking about enforced euthanasia for everybody at say 85, but knowing about it from childhood.

You would be able to plan to do all the stuff you wanted, you can mend any broken relationships. You can die with all your loved ones around, out of a hospital. Have a big, planned 'dying party' where you get to say everything you want to everyone.

Life would become more 'certain' and tangibly special, less would get put off, and a huge drain would be taken off the NHS.

Sounds crazy to begin with (knowing when you are going to die) but I think it has a lot going for it.

85?.................Hellfire you must live in a posh area.

I have known very few men round my way live to 85, never mind pass it, I've met a few, but have been exceptional.

My dad's dad died at 59, his bother was 50. My dad is doing very well at 77, but 85 would be far beyond his expectations!

8 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

85?.................Hellfire you must live in a posh area.

I have known very few men round my way live to 85, never mind pass it, I've met a few, but have been exceptional.

My dad's dad died at 59, his bother was 50. My dad is doing very well at 77, but 85 would be far beyond his expectations!

Yeah, I used to say 75 but people tended to get angry.

People are a bit more comfortable with 85.

This is plenty of time to have a thoroughly excellent life, especially if it is planned out knowing when the end will be (this is important).

The savings on care and treatment (sometimes for people for whom life is no longer worth living) would be huge.

If people want to go earlier, and are of sound mind, they should be allowed to.

• Like 3

Yeah, I used to say 75 but people tended to get angry.

People are a bit more comfortable with 85.

This is plenty of time to have a thoroughly excellent life, especially if it is planned out knowing when the end will be (this is important).

The savings on care and treatment (sometimes for people for whom life is no longer worth living) would be huge.

If people want to go earlier, and are of sound mind, they should be allowed to.

Logan's run or soilent green?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Like 1

It seems strange that while we control the lives of virtually everything in our environment, usually killing them as soon as they are of use/hinderance to us.. ie everything from cows to commercial forestry to caterpillars. Paradoxically we strive to extend our own lives and that of those close to us far beyond the useful.
The mother of an ex gf died in her late forties due to complications surrounding a permanent condition she had. Unable to communicate for the last year or so it was hard to tell what was going on in her head but I doubt it was good.
Those closest to her possibly made her suffer unspeakable anguish through their selfish desire to keep her alive. Surely that is the height of cruelty.

Haven't fully figured an exit strategy myself, i enjoy work and hope i will never fully "retire"
I would love to say I know I'd have the courage to end it on my own terms before I became too useless to pull the trigger. The thought of dribbling in a wheelchair scares me more than anything else that may or may not be.
On the other hand, if I'm still alive at 80 and healthy I'd make the most of it. As long as I'm not a burden on others.

• Like 1

Anyone who has visited a parent, aunt or uncle in a residential or nursing home, must have cause to wonder at the quality of life most of them enjoy.

My father fell into an excavation with a stroke, when fished out, then sat in a nappy for 4 years entirely unable to communicate,(but with perfect hearing and comprehension of the spoken word)

his only brother that had farmed with him all their lives, never visited him in hospital, or the home, nor did he attend his own brothers funeral.

He maintained that the man he had known and worked with every day for 70 odd years effectively died on the day of the stroke, despite medical science keeping him alive for an additional 4 years.

I could not argue with his assessment.

Plus "Nan" sitting in the corner of the day room, screeching like a banshee, every day, day in, day out!.

etc

etc

etc

Convene the Death Panels at once, and put me on the list for future attention if you wish.

At 60 I am not afraid of death, and would much prefer a quick clean one, rather than a long lingering demeaning demise.

Another issue that troubles me is the current nearness in  gestation time between healthy babies being aborted late and exceptionally premature born ones  desperately being kept alive.

If that is not a severe moral conundrum I dont know what is.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Agreed, but please not the shotgun, some poor bugger has to find you/deal wth the mess. Far better to wait for a frosty night, sorts and T-shirt, couple bottles of wine, sit out and enjoy the stars.

Global warming will do scupper that mate. You'll just end up with a tan!

• Haha 1