Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

20 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I think as much as we’ll all be grafting for a long time trying to give the kids a leg up it’ll probably all end up getting sold to pay for the last 20 years of care we’ll be needing. Think if we all knew what was coming we’d live well, give the kids as much as we could along the way to get them started not worry about what we were leaving behind, have 5-10 years dicking about with the lifelong list of projects once retirement age, equity release spend the cash then take the shotgun out to the shed.

Sounds grim but seeing father in law have a major stroke at 83 and potentially keep going for another ten years with all the care he needs has scared the shit out of me! Old age isn’t for pussies that’s for sure.

Agreed, but please not the shotgun, some poor bugger has to find you/deal wth the mess. Far better to wait for a frosty night, sorts and T-shirt, couple bottles of wine, sit out and enjoy the stars.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Agreed, but please not the shotgun, some poor bugger has to find you/deal wth the mess. Far better to wait for a frosty night, sorts and T-shirt, couple bottles of wine, sit out and enjoy the stars.

Dark. But yeah that's how I'd do it too. Maybe Southern comfort though. Packs more of a punch..

Hell, I might even have a few cigarettes..

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Haha 1

I've often thought that it would be a good thing to know how much time you've got to live from a very early age.

I'm basically talking about enforced euthanasia for everybody at say 85, but knowing about it from childhood.

You would be able to plan to do all the stuff you wanted, you can mend any broken relationships. You can die with all your loved ones around, out of a hospital. Have a big, planned 'dying party' where you get to say everything you want to everyone.

Life would become more 'certain' and tangibly special, less would get put off, and a huge drain would be taken off the NHS.

Sounds crazy to begin with (knowing when you are going to die) but I think it has a lot going for it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

I think as much as we’ll all be grafting for a long time trying to give the kids a leg up it’ll probably all end up getting sold to pay for the last 20 years of care we’ll be needing.

Which is why I  gifted my kids all the cash I had saved to secure them  houses, though one is still paying  a mortgage and the other will need  to pay IHT in the house provided for her.

I'm also gambing that I will not need care before 75 but die before then, as I have not crystallised my pension pot and it will go to them  (or their progeny in my younger daughter's case) free of IHT

If I'm still alive at 75 I shall cash the lot and blow it.

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

No mess, I’ll do it in the pig shed ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Which is why I  gifted my kids all the cash I had saved to secure them  houses, though one is still paying  a mortgage and the other will need  to pay IHT in the house provided for her.

I'm also gambing that I will not need care before 75 but die before then, as I have not crystallised my pension pot and it will go to them  (or their progeny in my younger daughter's case) free of IHT

If I'm still alive at 75 I shall cash the lot and blow it.

Sounds like you’ve been good to them and planned well. Hats off to you.

Edited by LeeGray