Whats your exit strategy?

Steve Bullman

3 hours ago, matelot said:

I put spare money into my pension. If you put in money the Government adds on 25%... not a bad risk free return...

If you pay income tax at 40% you can also reduce your income tax bill in addition to the 25% "free" money.

Nice to see someone planning ahead, the younger you do it, the more time it has to grow and support your old age!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The intention is to build the forestry harvesting and management company over the next 20 years or so and then sell up, either as a going concern or simply component parts (machines).

In a few years we're intending to start a sustainable building company, focusing on the provision of low cost, high quality, carbon negative housing built empathetically in conjunction with support from local communities. They would be price controlled, mainly for key workers (emergency services, care workers, teachers etc) and people working in the locality as part of the rural economy. We'd tee this into the forestry business by restarting a sawmill to provide the raw materials for the houses, with the aim to have 90% (or more) of the structure of the house to come from a 50-100 mile radius. Modular, prefabricated, locally grown houses with an emphasis on healthy internal environments and sensible and considered development planning (so folk don't feel like sardines in a can, jammed into little rabbit hutches as is the case with so many new developments).

The hope is 15-20 years of that would result in us doing larger and larger developments, making a meaningful contribution to the local housing stock and eventually provide us with a decent pension to retire on. 

Life would be a damn sight easier if I just stuck to doing one thing, but I'm only happy plotting and master planning for the future! ?

• Like 2

On 10/10/2017 at 09:22, Rob D said:

Well in the (nearish) future we will be looking at moving on our websites... so if anyone fancies an arb related e commerce style business then get in touch.

I'd like to focus more on product development and distribution in the future so the e commerce sites will be packaged up and sold.

www.alaskanmill.co.uk will be the cheapest followed by www.sugiharabarsuk.co.uk and then the main flagship www.chainsawbars.co.uk will be next (and that won't be so cheap ;)

We would still be suppliers to these websites so in our interest to encourage them to continue to be successful.

i think you will be surprised, those domains less than £500 each. 

Obviously the associated business excluded.

On 12/10/2017 at 15:58, matelot said:

I put spare money into my pension. If you put in money the Government adds on 25%... not a bad risk free return...

If you pay income tax at 40% you can also reduce your income tax bill in addition to the 25% "free" money.

Yes, BUT, You then get screwed over, tax wise, and for some benefits wise, when drawing down your pension!