New to the arb industry - looking for advice

Phil_G

4 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

If you are fit, intelligent and with money behind you, then buy van, small chipper, some saws and make up a tree company name, stick it on the side, get some insurance and give it a go. We are not regulated as a trade, you don't need tickets for insurance, learn as you go, build up to bigger stuff and bobs your uncle.
Once you realise how simple this job is Conny bashing in back gardens then do some climbing tickets for peace of mind and work hard.
Good luck!

Really..???

Pretty bad advice imo Mr Blair.

Listen mate if your keen- go for it but as has been mentioned before it aint all big beech trees on dry sunny days,be prepared for hard slog in really really shite weather and challenging environments,not to mention ball busting customers,thats not too say the job doesnt have its good points-when things are going right and your enjoyin your job its a real buzz.

Theres loads of advice i could give you but im bot gonna cause part of the fun is learning the industry.

Good luck 

Dont let anything get in your way if your passionate

• Like 4

How many of us do have tickets?
I have what I thought was the minimum (CS31/32/38/39), cos I thought they were necessary. I've always wanted to do more but time and money have prohibited it. I completely agree that there is never a substitute for practical experience, but I've always thought that some initial theoretical knowledge is worth learning.
I'm surprised by the idea that some others don't even bother.

• Like 2

How many of us do have tickets?
I have what I thought was the minimum (CS31/32/38/39), cos I thought they were necessary. I've always wanted to do more but time and money have prohibited it. I completely agree that there is never a substitute for practical experience, but I've always thought that some initial theoretical knowledge is worth learning.
I'm surprised by the idea that some others don't even bother.

Maybe I meant 30/31? It's Saturday night after a couple or few beers.
  • Like 1

I'm going to ring around my local tree surgeons and arborists to get some hands on experience whilst putting the money aside for the 6 week proclimber course. Thanks for all the input guys it is great to hear the different opinions!!

Are there many winter jobs in europe such as Norway or Austria? I think that would be pretty fun and would assume pay would be half decent.

Apart from...Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, Management of Health and Safety at Work Act 1999, Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002, Town and Country Planning Act 1990, Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981,  The Work at Height Regulations 2005, New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969...

And I could go on.

Pleas do go on, and show me all your evidence of inspection intervals you have had for all of the above in your years of business!
Do you know that all of this is covered with a heading of Don't be Stupid. If you want to carry your fuel in Tesco bag in your front seat of the van, you can! No 1 will stop you ! Go on try it! You just get a flammable wet floor and as long as it doesn't ignite, no drama!
I won't go on.

Really..???
Pretty bad advice imo Mr Blair.
Listen mate if your keen- go for it but as has been mentioned before it aint all big beech trees on dry sunny days,be prepared for hard slog in really really shite weather and challenging environments,not to mention ball busting customers,thats not too say the job doesnt have its good points-when things are going right and your enjoyin your job its a real buzz.
Theres loads of advice i could give you but im bot gonna cause part of the fun is learning the industry.
Good luck 
Dont let anything get in your way if your passionate

Could you please explain why my advice is bad?

Well I initially did what Steven Blair suggests - only did tickets after a customer asked me 'Do you have any qualifications as a tree surgeon?'

I'd previously been mowing her lawns and it was a huge willow, guess she thought i could be trying to blag it.

I read Jeff Jepson's books before buying my kit - if you don't do a course or read books you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

utube videos can be instructional, but knowing a bit about  trees, not just how to cut them, worth the small investment in a few books, eg Trees - Their Natural History and Bob Watson's Trees ...

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Could you please explain why my advice is bad?

I know several guys who have done as you advised,get a van and chipper and go for it.None have lasted more than a year.

Also the we are unregulated thing is bollocks mate,as stated before by someone else we are regulated by HSE,puwer, loler,working at heights etc.

Im pretty amazed you would advise someinone with no knowledge,experience or even basic qualifications in the industry to just start up a tree firm.

If the guy had a couple of years experience under his belt and was a go getter then sure but he aint so your advice- in.my opinion-is bad.

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 2