New to the arb industry - looking for advice

Phil_G

If we as ARBORISTS want to be taken seriously as a trade then we must advocate for all who work in the trade to be certified. I went to college, twice, for my qualifications. I wanted to feel it was a fair shout to call me a tree expert. The fact I come across arborists who can't identify the basic 5 in my area really pisses me off. I've never had a plumber in who didn't know what the thingy majiggy was which he was charging me for.

I'm still confused as to why the op with a masters wants to do a six week course instead of banging out the level six whilst doing weekend work for experience, the level six should be a walk in the park after a masters in I'm presuming genetics?

I guess not everyone wants to be an expert. Some folk I reckon are pretty happy just being told to get up there and reduce it by 20%. They get some fun toys and enjoy themselves along the way.........certainly a bit of that in me if I'm totally honest. I'm wack with Latin names, soft wood ID, fungus ID, and still climb on a prussock. But I love climbing, and have a passion for treating trees nice and trying to do my best for them.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i'm a groundsman, not a climber and I don't claim to be a tree surgeon, small jobs I do myself, anything bigger or technical I sub in experienced and certified people. I also don't know about wood id, fungus etc. and the guys I use all use prussocks. Sometimes feel like the "dirty Dozen" of the tree world but we get the job done in a safe and tidy manner, we may get looked down on but Gods honest truth we don't take chances like some of the bigger "reputable" firms in our area. 

• Like 2

To the OP.

The ProClimber course does look good, and if you can afford to invest that much in your own training then go for it!

I'm just starting out, and have spent hours and hours working out how to punch into the industry. It may just be the situation in my area, but it seems everyone who's been at the game for a while wants to try and "branch out" on their own to make the mega bucks. Obviously a lot of these new business' fail due to the competition of their previous employers!

I would recommend setting yourself up as a sole-trader, and freelance out to all the small firms that don't have enough full time blokes to do big work. That way you don't end up grass cutting when the work dries up and gives you the opportunity to learn from a variety of blokes!

Some here might say that in order to be a freelance climber you need years of experience and need to turn up able to run the site etc... but in my experience so far I would disagree, hard-working guys will always be needed on site, so long as you are proactive and safe, you'll be making people money without them having to pay your pension/holidays and will therefore keep employing you!

It's also a lot cheaper to buy yourself all your PPE and a couple of saws than re-mortgaging the house to get that brand new van & chipper!

14 minutes ago, wiley said:

Some here might say that in order to be a freelance climber you need years of experience and need to turn up able to run the site etc... but in my experience so far I would disagree, hard-working guys will always be needed on site, so long as you are proactive and safe, you'll be making people money without them having to pay your pension/holidays and will therefore keep employing you!

I'd agree with this to a point.  You can be a freelance climber with any amount of experience, just so long as you are honest about what you can and can't do, and the employer has a good understanding of what jobs he can and can't send you to.

But yes, what any employer really wants is someone who will turn up and work hard and give them zero headaches, thats as much as anyone can ask for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

I'd agree with this to a point.  You can be a freelance climber with any amount of experience, just so long as you are honest about what you can and can't do, and the employer has a good understanding of what jobs he can and can't send you to.

But yes, what any employer really wants is someone who will turn up and work hard and give them zero headaches, thats as much as anyone can ask for.

Yeah of course, don't go spinning dits about your helicopter removals in Queensland to land a job. :thumbup:

• Like 3

To the OP.

The ProClimber course does look good, and if you can afford to invest that much in your own training then go for it!

I'm just starting out, and have spent hours and hours working out how to punch into the industry. It may just be the situation in my area, but it seems everyone who's been at the game for a while wants to try and "branch out" on their own to make the mega bucks. Obviously a lot of these new business' fail due to the competition of their previous employers!

I would recommend setting yourself up as a sole-trader, and freelance out to all the small firms that don't have enough full time blokes to do big work. That way you don't end up grass cutting when the work dries up and gives you the opportunity to learn from a variety of blokes!

It's also a lot cheaper to buy yourself all your PPE and a couple of saws than re-mortgaging the house to get that brand new van & chipper!

The OP makes about 40 - 45k a year currently, he's going to be in for a really unpleasant surprise when he has to fork out for really expensive kit and then only gets payed about 100 - 150 a day, that lab will start looking real good real quick.

1 minute ago, Marula said:

The OP makes about 40 - 45k a year currently, he's going to be in for a really unpleasant surprise when he has to fork out for really expensive kit and then only gets payed about 100 - 150 a day, that lab will start looking real good real quick.

And no doubt it'll be there waiting for him. He's asked for some advice on entering the Arb industry, not asked us to make his life decisions for him. :angel:

• Like 1

@Marula Hey thanks for the interest, the money is nowhere near 40k.. maybe if I stick it out for a few year then move to a private pharma company. Sadly the job market is pretty saturated and I've really lost the buzz for it. Too many over-zealous academics!

Thank you all for the great advice. Even though there has been some heated back and fourths I think the best route is to go for the certifications period. Anything less would just be bad practice and if I would like to aspire to setting something up of my own once I have the experience it is a practice that I would pass on to any staff I employ.

Adrenaline junkie but also a massive safety freak.. it kind of balances out in recreational terms and has resulted well thus far in terms of self preservation, bar a couple of skiing incidents. Saying that, safety at work is completely different to recreational activities, in the workplace as a standard there should be a much higher level precaution especially when working around cutting equipment and other machinery, not to mention the tree that could flatten you.

Thankfully my job is flexible so I'll be able to take the time off and attempt to get weekend work.

Again, really great to read all the comments thanks!

:)

Edited by Phil_G
  • Like 1