FS90 brushcutter - better head?

LoadhandlerUK

Anyone have any advice on replacing the standard Autocut head on a Stihl FS90. Been doing a fair amount of clearing with a tractor mounted flail mower but tidying inaccessible areas of nettles, docks and brambles with the brushcutter is a real pain as one side of the string breaks constantly. It's good quality 2.5mm string and we keep it moist but the head has a now worn old-age gap where the string comes out on one side of the cartridge. We tend to cut such areas in a few passes, taking the top growth off and gradually working down the stems.

The machine seems to have the balls and the grunt to do the job but we are constantly stopping either to rewind the string that has locked or breaking the string at the eyelet.

I want to replace it with a head / string combination that will cope with this sort of stuff. Any ideas please?

LH

3 hours ago, LoadhandlerUK said:

Anyone have any advice on replacing the standard Autocut head on a Stihl FS90. Been doing a fair amount of clearing with a tractor mounted flail mower but tidying inaccessible areas of nettles, docks and brambles with the brushcutter is a real pain as one side of the string breaks constantly. It's good quality 2.5mm string and we keep it moist but the head has a now worn old-age gap where the string comes out on one side of the cartridge. We tend to cut such areas in a few passes, taking the top growth off and gradually working down the stems.

The machine seems to have the balls and the grunt to do the job but we are constantly stopping either to rewind the string that has locked or breaking the string at the eyelet.

I want to replace it with a head / string combination that will cope with this sort of stuff. Any ideas please?

LH

Try this . Jet fit Oregon head . 4mm square line diamond edge by Desert Extrusions .

IMG_20170619_180519.jpg

IMG_20170619_180545.jpg

This is very helpful thanks chaps. Felix, the line does bump feed but one side seems to shear quickly where it exits the eyelet.

Stubby, thanks I'll try an Oregon head and some 3mm diamond line. That head, which one is it? Is it the Jetfit part no 111110 type with the black cone shape (now worn away?) or the Jetfit Semipro partno 552698

Many thanks

LH

27 minutes ago, LoadhandlerUK said:

This is very helpful thanks chaps. Felix, the line does bump feed but one side seems to shear quickly where it exits the eyelet.

Stubby, thanks I'll try an Oregon head and some 3mm diamond line. That head, which one is it? Is it the Jetfit part no 111110 type with the black cone shape (now worn away?) or the Jetfit Semipro partno 552698

Many thanks

LH

It maybe that you have a sharp edge on the eyelet. You can buy them separately if the rest of the head is worth saving.      https://www.spaldings.co.uk/grounds-maintenance/stihl-replacement-eyelet-sleeve--pk-10-(4002-713-8301)

That jet fit looks like mine. It’s the pro 4 line one with the black cone removed. With just 2 lines on it. 4 line would be too much for a 90. Not to say don’t buy one as it will last ages so would fit another bigger strimmer should you ever get one

Don’t go lower than 3mm on the jet fit otherwise you will be changing all the time. Plus leave a decent tail like on the pictures above. It’s a proper pain if you forget and have to try and get it out!

Yea . Its the 4 line head but I only ever use 2 lines ( in the lower slots ) . I use a 4 line head as it keeps the nut under flush . ( the black plastic cones fly off in an instant ) . If you use a 2 line head the nut protrudes and digs in when , ( and it will ) the cone flies off :001_smile: