The new Stihl ms500i

Stihl123

Its been mentioned many times that the similarity between automotive progression and the outdoor power market seems to be following the same pattern.

Carbs ...to electronic carbs (m tron/Auto tune) and on to fuel injection. 

The middle development ground that was not agro free in the automotive world  could be thought of as M tron/auto tune . EFI is now a very well sorted system in most cases in our cars so im hopeful that the injection system on the Sthil saw should be a marked increase in agro free performance . Lets hope any early niggles have been addressed with the stone saw and the lessons learned pass seamlessly into this interesting new saw. Now that will of corse mean that the reliance on the Manufacturer Dealer network for diagnostics will go the same way as the Garage trade has gone. 

It seems that Stihl and Husqvarna "Mainly " are choosing to go down the electronic control path for the future while others "at the moment" have found that is not the only option.

Edited by Sawchip

I think there is so much pressure on two stroke machines that husky, stihl plus many other brands need to either revolutionise two stroke, move to four stroke or move to battery power. It is ear marked for distinction at some point, just like the diesel car seems to be atm. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I have no doubt that the manufacturers will hold on to their diagnostic kit with vehemence same as the car industry until forced to fit OBD2 ports in cars allowing independents the chance to make a living and diagnose most sensor based faults on modern cars.

As you will know Husqvarna require a "Dealer portal "(Husqvarna's main frame connection ) to do many operations when installing components and firmware upgrades so in reality its not so easy now without a willing Manufacture Dealer . 

Stihl on the M tron have those real special leads and software for there plug in Diagnosis so I can not see this getting any more accessible if one is not a Dealer . I just hope that the EFI system is so trouble free that it wont need much intervention in "its self" Can live in hope i suppose :D

Edited by Sawchip

27 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

I think there is so much pressure on two stroke machines that husky, stihl plus many other brands need to either revolutionise two stroke, move to four stroke or move to battery power. It is ear marked for distinction at some point, just like the diesel car seems to be atm. 

There are interesting things A- foot with Non electronic 2 stroke rethinking from 1 group. Do you remember the 4 stroke saw was developed by Dolmar .

15 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

It is earmarked for distinction at some point, just like the diesel car seems to be atm. 

Extinction ? 4 stroke saws would have to be really thought out so as not to be either too heavy or too fragile. You'd need injection and dry sump to be able to hang them on a strop or turn them on their side and that would make them prohibitively expensive.

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Petrol saws will be gone in twenty years.
Maybe sooner.
Electric is the future.
Unless it all goes tits up, then it's back to axes.
emoji12.png

I thought garlic bread and cheese cake were the future ?

• Like 1