Modding Old Saws

Drew87

Hello Arbtalk,, 

Just a quick Post, to Ask if anyone has knowledge of / If its possible,, to replace a Husqvarna 2100 exhaust .. With another equivalent.. OEM Is a rectangular shape,, but is there another option of exhaust replacement.? Would I gain or lose anything with the swapping of Exhaust.?? Open to All.. T.I.A

If the holes line up what's the problem ? You could make up a box with a baffle in it or make up a stub to fit on the block and fit an expansion pipe like a bike if you have the skills. The world is your bivalve mollusc of choice.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Knew it get a laugh or two,, but want to know if there's a better/same equivalent.. Its an old saw n original parts are hard to get hold of.. Hence the numpty question. Newer mufflers I've got hold of dont line up, or ports wrong size etc.. Dont mod myself,, So just lookin for a suggested method of quick replacement.. /.. a London based modder,, It hasnt been as easy as to match the holes.. Only now Finished doin the carb, pipes, gaskets, tuning, etc & got it running,, Got a bad leak in original muffler, so for now its gettin S.blasted today & patched up.. But wondering too if its worth "Swappin / Modding a New One for it.?" 

(Saws been brought back from the dead, Never done one before, let alone as old,, But enjoyin the giggles & digs for tryin) 

Edited by Drew87
Edit comment

4 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Knew it get a laugh or two,, but want to know if there's a better/same equivalent.. Its an old saw n original parts are hard to get hold of.. Hence the numpty question. Newer mufflers I've got hold of dont line up, or ports wrong size etc.. Dont mod myself,, So just lookin for a suggested method of quick replacement.. /.. a London based modder,, It hasnt been as easy as to match the holes.. Only now Finished doin the carb, pipes, gaskets, tuning, etc & got it running,, Got a bad leak in original muffler, so for now its gettin S.blasted today & patched up.. But wondering too if its worth "Swappin / Modding a New One for it.?" 

(Saws been brought back from the dead, Never done one before, let alone as old,, But enjoyin the giggles & digs for tryin) 

PM spud . He may be able to help .

8 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Hello Arbtalk,, 

Just a quick Post, to Ask if anyone has knowledge of / If its possible,, to replace a Husqvarna 2100 exhaust .. With another equivalent.. OEM Is a rectangular shape,, but is there another option of exhaust replacement.? Would I gain or lose anything with the swapping of Exhaust.?? Open to All.. T.I.A

There are always exception to the rule but generally speaking exhausts are not interchangeable. There are plenty of modified exhausts aimed at improving engine performance but mainly these are the original exhaust which is then modified by tuners (or diyer's). 99% of the time the aim is simply to reduce the back pressure on the engine - think bigger exit hole(s). The 1% of the time a tuned pipe is used to create pressure waves to help pack as much fuel and air into the combustion chamber as the exhaust port closes (trouble is the required pipe length is too big to package sensibly for every day use).

The benefit of a modified exhaust (or muffler mod in US speak) is dependant on how strangled the exhaust is in the first place and another general rule - older saws were less strangled than modern emission regulated saws. The recent tend has been to make an exhaust with a small exit hole and convoluted path for the gases to travel through - with the intention of reducing the amount of air and unburnt fuel being spilted out the exhaust (during the scavenge stage of the 2 stroke cycle).

The attached picture is an exhaust for Stihl MS211 / 181 /171. Original exhaust has an internal passageway plus small exit. The modified one has 2 outlets,  my intention was primarily more passageway area. The internal baffling was also removed. Back to back testing confirmed a big performance gain. After the basic stuff like saw maintenance, in particular a sharp chain,  the biggest performance gain is usually through exhaust mods.

Please note: the carburetor must be retuned to ensure correct fueling after exhaust tuning - otherwise you are likely to seize the engine. 

20160712_114450.jpg

20160821_163344.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Stubby, I'll PM him later tonight.. Cheers mukka

Nice one Bmp01,, Thats exactly my reasoning for asking.. and reason for wanting a Mod/Replacement, To which you have covered everything Brilliantly.!!!  My saw isn't burning it off quick enuff atm and can leak (piss out) via the muffler outlet pipe if tipped up. It was suggested by a work mate to Mod it, but between us,, Dont know anyone near us atm that has the skills needed.  

Thanks for the proper Answers lads,, Greatly appreciated as always. Cheers

7 hours ago, Drew87 said:

My saw isn't burning it off quick enuff atm and can leak (piss out) via the muffler outlet pipe if tipped up.

If I'm reading that correctly a modified exhaust isn't what you need, or at least not straight away.  The first thing your saw  needs is some maintenance and a tune up.  Either that or the 2 stroke your using isn't fit for purpose, could be an old fuel/oil mix ?? 

What you've described sounds like your saw is running rich - too much fuel in the air / fuel mixture. Is your saw chucking out blue smoke? 

Engine maintenance,  clean the air filter,  new spark plug,  general clean and check the  carb doesn't have the choke suck on.... Carb tuning has potential to 8ugger your saw if not done correctly,  do a search for correct procedure.

Exhaust mods,  can be as crude as just making bigger holes,  drill, files, Dremel. .. that sort of thing.

ATB,

bmp01

On 06/10/2017 at 21:34, bmp01 said:

If I'm reading that correctly a modified exhaust isn't what you need, or at least not straight away.  The first thing your saw  needs is some maintenance and a tune up.  Either that or the 2 stroke your using isn't fit for purpose, could be an old fuel/oil mix ?? 

What you've described sounds like your saw is running rich - too much fuel in the air / fuel mixture. Is your saw chucking out blue smoke? 

Engine maintenance,  clean the air filter,  new spark plug,  general clean and check the  carb doesn't have the choke suck on.... Carb tuning has potential to 8ugger your saw if not done correctly,  do a search for correct procedure.

Exhaust mods,  can be as crude as just making bigger holes,  drill, files, Dremel. .. that sort of thing.

Thanks for reply bud..

Thats how I dont the carb was,, from a video and parts list.. Easy enough there,, Used Tillitson bits, Done maintenance & cleaning,, New Cylinder Base Gasket,,, Got it running (Blue smoke at first), but now runs without any, New fuel lines and filters, tuned again.. And found what I hope is the last problem.. The Muffler itself has a bad seal, or has developed a small crack somewhere near the back,, (its in for a shot blast n patching it tomorrow, with a new one on watch list from the Bay) 

I'll add some pics of what Ive done if it helps.?? 

Any advice always welcomed here.. 

Been a good challenge restoring it so far,, so close to the end its maddening.  HAHA

Cheers Spud.. Haven't had time to PM you about this yet, so thanks for the jump on. Always appreciate your knowledge & advice bud. 

Haha,, "GoodLuck" been hearing that a lot about my old-new Saw.. Need all luck goin by the looks though.. Haha. Soon get there with it though