Chainsaw seizing and Aspen fuel

Pureevil222

@Dilz the saw was less than 2 years old.. so not old at all. Was only used a few times when he first got it. Went for surgery then couldn’t use it for a while. That’s when it went in the first time. 

And they switched it to Aspen fuel. 

And told him to only use that. 

He walked me through the day that it seized. And showed me exactly what he did. And it was pouring the bottle of Aspen2 that he was given in there. 

And going to use it. 

@GardenKit no one uses my dads tools without him, he doesn’t have people out there to help him. So he’s the only one who touched it after it was given back to him from repair. And as said earlier in this post. He walked me through exactly what he did. 

He didn't put anything other than the Aspen2 in there that he was given. 

He was told to only use that and that’s what he did. 

But now that doesn’t even matter. If he wanted it as a 600$ paperweight then it’s his property to do so they had no right to throw it out without any notice.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dilz said:

This is because the oil in the two stroke mix actually soaks into the plastic/rubber of the lines. The aspen draws this out and causes them to dry and they split.  THis has happened to every uk guy i know who brought their own saw over and switched from mix to Aspen.   

This is almost right, but what really happens is this.

Rubber and plastics contain chemicals to keep them supple and prevent them cracking, and there are many different qualities of rubber and plastic. The solvents contained in pump petrol permeate the rubber and wash out the chemicals, but this tends not to matter too much, as the solvents themselves keep the rubber supple whilst slowly dissolving it.

If you remove the petrol and dry store the machine, the rubber dries out and cracks. This happens anyway on machines using solely petrol.

If you replace the petrol with Aspen, which contains no solvents, the rubber can also 'dry out' despite being wet with Aspen, so machines which have used petrol for a long period could suffer when converted to Aspen, but problems are easily prevented, or overcome, by replacing the pipes and diaphragms.

The newer fuel pipes and diaphragms are now made to better withstand the stronger solvent that is found in petrol, namely ethanol, which makes short work of hoses on older and cheaper kit, and these should not suffer at all on conversion to Aspen.

And, as Dilz says, these problems are not found in Sweden because everyone uses Aspen anyway, the only machines that suffer are those taken over by the Brits!

Edited by GardenKit
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...
On 02/12/2017 at 04:55, Pureevil222 said:

@Jonny69  Curious did it seize?

Bit of an delayed response, sorry. 

I forgot about this until deciding to clear up the leaves from gravel at the house today.

Took all the bits home, filled it up with fuel (still that same fuel from a several years ago in the bottom) put the sucker attachment on and away it went in about 4 pulls. 

Pretty astonishing really. I do only use very high quality oil, not stihl or husky. So maybe that has helped it survive so long in the tank without going off. 

27 minutes ago, Jonny69 said:

Bit of an delayed response, sorry. 

Pretty astonishing really. I do only use very high quality oil, not stihl or husky. So maybe that has helped it survive so long in the tank without going off. 

Be interested to now what High quality  oil you use  . I use Red Line Racing 2T oil . Do you use  that ?

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

Be interested to now what High quality  oil you use  . I use Red Line Racing 2T oil . Do you use  that ?

http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=77

Apparently it's pretty good for any two stroke application and only £65 for 20L. I used to use it in an RM125 as well, it seemed to work fine in that. I'm sure there are several manufacturers all making decent products.

What I should have said was, I don't use cheap 2 stroke oil or mix it wrong. Which may be why engines seem to last a long time for me. 

• Like 1

Bearing in mind we have only heard one side of the story,

From what has been said it looks to me like the dealer is trying to cover up a botched repair, the fuel issue is a bit of a side issue.

A saw repaired at a dealer should start with ease staightaway and yes that should have been demonstrated at the shop.

Begs the question why not, Also the aspen fuel is a bit of a red herring as millions of users have run saws on regular 2 stroke mix for years. Were they perhaps just trying to flog you the fuel they happen to sell.

I think its definatly time to get legal, they have stolen your property and removed evidence.