New kit - multione 7.3s

richy_B

3 hours ago, Mulcherman Chris said:

Do you do subbie work with this as I have an upcoming job which this would be ideal for if your in the right area. I have sent you a message also.

Cheers Chris

3 hours ago, richy_B said:

Replied. I'm in West London. Try to keep within a hours drive.

Good question and good response!

An hour is a sensible radius for travel. I’d do similar (S Devon / Cornwall for me)

Maybe with a few MO owners making it known where they might cover and what attachments they can offer in Arb / landscaping work there could be a mutually beneficial co-op with other Arb outfits. On the right job a MO is doing <5 men’s work by my reckoning!

• 2 weeks later...

It's all pretty new to me but so far it is really useful. Cutting one channel 'blind' then switch to offset and go up and you own clearing is a massive benefit for me. In London there is so much junk in the undergrowth so having that diagonal view is great. This seems pretty good fo neck strain too. I find the flail sits nicely to my right side where I can just look slightly down. I imagine with the inline you are going to be leaning forward a bit more and it could be uncomfortable after a few hours

Using it as a side flail opens up a whole world of opportunities. You can cut hedge rows, rights of way, etc. It doesn't compete with a full size flail arm but will do the work of ten guys with hedge cutters.

The side shift is a chunk of money but if you have the right sort of work it's a really amazing bit of kit.

The downsides are the weight and how far it sticks out in front.

It feels sure footed enough and if you drive down your own clearing you should see what's in front of you but I could see how you could easily get yourself in trouble with all that weight up and stretched. Even when it's 'closed' it's probably 80cm further out than the standard flail. This means more adjustments on undulating terrain.

I can't transport it with the flail on. Can't get the weight distribution right even on my largest trailer - lm126. What works well is having the MO in the small plant trailer and towing it behind the transit t350, which can hold 4 attachments in the back. Dropside down, quick change and you are off me with a new tool. I found that pretty useful when switching between the hedge cutter and muck forks for collecting.

Great review, thanks.

The transportation thing is a big deal, hadn’t thought of that.

I hadn't either till I tried to take it out the first time. I assumed 'it'll be alright' !?!

Annoyingly the flail is a bit too bit to go in the back of a pickup (can't get it in my l200). The bed is just ok but the lip all the way round is just too tight and with all those hoses to damage it's not worse the risk.

I am looking to get a single cab L200 and have a dropside conversion as it will be good for this and other bits of equipment. The transit is a fine tow vehicle but I find it some much easier have a pickup and a 1.75m plant trailer for London.