Stihl HSA 86 fail.

mowandgo

Hi I have had the stihl HSA 86 for about 14 months. Usability is great cuts as thick as petrol does a lovely clean cut on most types of hedges easy to use battery lasts long when machine new I prefer than petrol well for the first 12 months anyway.

My major dislike is after a short time its on its way out. The advantage a petrol  has Is durability. All petrol hedge cutters I have used have a gasket for the gear box so dirt does not enter the can & gearbox. However stihl  have not botherd with this one so it  wears out far quicker making petrol a better choice. In use it wears the battery down quicker overheats and discharges batteries very quickly. I do not want to buy another one for this reason.

Do you boys have any advice or experience with this machine? Maybe I could change the parts but think they would be too expensive. I like the look of echo as they have a 2 year comercial warranty however only make one battery hedge cutter. Maybe back to petrol lol.

I've found that using spray grease in the gear housing seems to work best, have the blades running whilst spraying in the grease, you hear the noise change to something smoother.  I tend to do this after 3-4 charges.  

I did have issues with one of mine from new as it was never properly greased when PDI'd it wore out the lobes and got replaced under warranty.  

Basically plenty of lube and you'll be fine