Partner.

breffni

12 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Partnerships in the tree game often end badly from what I can see for two reasons (apart from the obvious ones of people not getting on or one not pulling their weight)

1. It’s not that complex so you’ve little need of two people to deal with everyday stuff compared to building/construction where the skill set need to be higher.

2. There’s not enough money in it for two people to get a big bite at the pie.

Having a wife/girlfriend who can help with the phone, accounts etc and is really in your corner is a winning combination.

There are always exceptions of course.

2 guys responding to calls.

Twice to quoting capacity.

I know I am lucky with my catchment area. It is particularly rich so plenty of work to support 2 owner/operators.

My problem is that the business partner, a man I counted as a friend, took advantage of my trust and from the earliest days began to defraud the company. Even after I had agreed to sell my shares Le Perfidious French Git held back invoicing over £70k of turnover from tax year 2016/17 to 2017/2018 in order to de-value to company and deprive me of my annual dividend. 

Ty

1 minute ago, Ty Korrigan said:

2 guys responding to calls.

Twice to quoting capacity.

I know I am lucky with my catchment area. It is particularly rich so plenty of work to support 2 owner/operators.

My problem is that the business partner, a man I counted as a friend, took advantage of my trust and from the earliest days began to defraud the company. Even after I had agreed to sell my shares Le Perfidious French Git held back invoicing over £70k of turnover from tax year 2016/17 to 2017/2018 in order to de-value to company and deprive me of my annual dividend. 

Ty

No reason why a manager cannot do those tasks if there’s enough turnover.

No reason to halve the dividend.

12 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

You won't get a salaried person (manager) as cheap as an owner who will work the same long hours as an owner and bring the same motivation as an owner.

Ty

So what’s the point in starting a tree biz? If you don’t expect to pocket more than an employee?

12 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

You won't get a salaried person (manager) as cheap as an owner who will work the same long hours as an owner and bring the same motivation as an owner.

I agree with a lot of what you say Ty, but not this.  Where do tired climbers go after hanging up the harness?  There will be some who have just the right temperament to quote jobs, maintain kit and now and then join the site team if they are missing a groundie.  And you won't have to pay them any more than a lead climber as you allow them to stay in the industry but not muller his body.

Morning,

You write of managers, former climbers competant in all things from quoting to mechanics. Rare fish as these guys are generally running their own outfit.

I write from the position of the owner if a small but growing company who cannot afford to employ a manager yet would benefit enormously from the energy of an equally motivated (honest) partner. 

Once I am free of the Perfidious French Git, my future plan is to keep the admin in house by bringing my accountant wife in to run the office. I'll be back to strength in a few years. I've the 'savoir faire' and the customer base is still out there.

Ty

10 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I agree with a lot of what you say Ty, but not this.  Where do tired climbers go after hanging up the harness?  There will be some who have just the right temperament to quote jobs, maintain kit and now and then join the site team if they are missing a groundie.  And you won't have to pay them any more than a lead climber as you allow them to stay in the industry but not muller his 

• Like 1