Ouch.

Mark Bolam

1 hour ago, beechwood said:

Tom

I notice that video is from 2009.

Can I ask when you look back at it do you think what was I doing climbing that or would you climb a similar tree tomorrow?

Regards Neil

I'd do it again, but I'd be sore the next day, that really was a big tree, I seem to remember it took a whole day of climbing to get it down. However a pic of video never tells the whole story, the tree in question had many fungi present, merip, gano, porcelain, and a few others, however there were a few leaves on some of the lower limbs and one smallish branch at the top, that was what I was tied to. As you can see in the vid some of it was extremely brittle, had it all been like that I wouldn't have gone anywhere near as high and I would have smashed off even bigger bits.

13 hours ago, skyhuck said:

If you look at the original vid the piece he removes is  huge, looks at least as thick as his waste where he cuts. Watch the way it partly goes and then stops, it looks pretty solid to me, there's a lot of smallish stuff still attached . I'd have gone up the limb and knocked off all the branches, then pieced it down on my way back.

You could be right, it's hard to tell much from a grainy video. Perhaps there was a pocket of rot at the failure point and the timber was actually more solid. If it had been allowed to run that probably wouldn't have happened.